• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC-IV on 1986 2.3 EFI Ranger, where is it located at?

bozo4ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140 CID
Transmission
Manual
1986 2.3 FORD RANGER Gas / EFI / 140 CID
4-Cyl. / 5-Speed / SOHC / base Cab.

I want to remove, and take my Distributor Coil, TFI (Ignition control module) and my EEC-IV (Electronic Engine control) part to autozone to test.

having a 1986, I have personally replaced about four TFI's on this truck. They are infamous for rangers to fail from time too time.

I recently replaced my fuel filter, but not my in-line pump, I feel I'm getting fuel to the injectors, but it cranks, but does not turn over, which leads me to believe this could be a spark issue. Spark plugs and wires are fine. I have not tested my fuel pressure yet.

My search for the location of this EECV-IV is confusing. Yes, I do have the fuel pump relay, the blower fan relay, and the ECC (or EEC) relays on passengers' side fender well, in the same area.

Some say the EEC-IV is in the inside cab, middle, under the dash. Well, I looked and I did see a little box with wires going to it attached to the dash metal frame, but this is not what I believe to be looking for, which is a little bigger. Others say it's in the very right side, pass. kickwall, behind the plastic cover.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME PLEASE....EXACTLY WHERE THE EEC-IV IS?

Thank You !

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lets back the diagnostic truck up and unload the shot gun.

It cranks but doesn't start. OK.

You say you "feel it is getting fuel to the rail". Have you tested this "feeling".

Also, have you tested for spark from the coil? If you have a spark issue then testing the computer is pointless because these engines use a stand-alone ignition system. You can remove the computer completely and still get spark.

But anyway, the computer is behind the right hand kick panel, just forward of the door. It is a silver box in a plastic holder with a big plug going into it, requires a 10mm socket to unplug.

bozo4ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140 CID
Transmission
Manual
Ignition Key Switch 86 Ranger 2.3 EFI stalling when touched while idling.

In the last few months, I've had lots of problems with the truck not wanting to start and continue idling. It just cranks a few times, then finally turns over and maintains an idle, then shuts off.

I replaced the TFI. Now I just cranked it three times, the engine started, was idling for a few minutes,
then I only touched the key while in the ignition, then the engine stalled. I restarted again, and lifted up on the ignition key and it stopped again. Should this be happening?
Should touching a key either up or down in the ignition while it's running cause the engine to stall? very weird.

I replaced this ignition switch with a MOTOCRAFT part a few years ago, should this be wearing out?

Don't tell me this was my problem all along, a short in the key ignition switch.

The TFI I had tested at Autozone was a MOTORCRAFT part and it tested BAD. I also had two extras I had laying around, and one of those tested GOOD. So I bought the TFI Duralast Module for $46.00.

I got it home, installed it (using the supplies dielectric grease) and I'm back to the cranking a few times, then it starts and maintains an idle for a few minutes, then stalls out. Sometimes it wants to idle, most times it only cranks.

I located my EEC-IV on the inside cab, passengers side kick wall, behind that plastic cover, (one Phillips screw, and another on the metal floor door trim) that loosens up this cover.

I DO appreciate the feedback here and those who suggest me testing codes or checking fuel pressure, but I have no tools like that, so I'm trying (wasting my time) to figure out what's causing this. I am tempted to save time, and have it towed to a repair shop that can do diagnostics on this...(cheaper than Fords prices) Being disabled with Cancer, I just needed to try to save money that I don't really have.

I smell gas when I crank, so fuel must be getting to the injectors. Spark is there, Distributor coil also tested GOOD.

When this was idling that one time, I removed the vac line from the VAC Hose tree, (that connects from the Fuel pressure regulator) and there was a lot of suction over the metal tube on the tree.

EEC-IV, I was told, don't go out as much as the TFI (Ignition control Modules )

I also replaced my Pickup coil some years ago.

So does anyone feels it may be a fuel pump, or an electrical, or the ignition key switch?

I searched for my OBD-1 tester port on my pass, engine side near relays, but can not find it. I was told it has three prongs on one end, and one on the other end. All I saw was a three wires unit by the blower fan, near firewall.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Does your truck, by any chance, have an inertia switch? I'm not sure when they started putting them in Rangers, but that could be the whole problem (at least this time).

It's usually up under the dash and it essentially kills the fuel pump in an accident, but a wonky switch can cause you a whole lot of expense and headaches...ask me how I know...

Worth looking into...it can be bypassed to see if that is the culprit...here is a link to an article about it...

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InertiaSwitch.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals