Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Rowdy Fitzgerald
Hog hunter

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Huntin Rig, toy
Rowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of light
Default The ranger

Ok here's a few pics of my under construction ranger.
Here it is when I first got it.
A few months later after I got it running and reliable I went and did the deed. Was 2wd converted it to 4, lifted it 3" and put 33's under it. All for les than $750

Took it on a poker run. Did really good but open diffs so I couldn't go up the rough stuff. This was on the way to camp. My exgf has all the pictures on her camera still. These are just the few I took with my phone.

Here it is with the 6" lift. I didn't take any pictures of the lift swap. I was out huntin and saw a asphalt pile so I put the front end up it.
Then I had issues with the wiring one day out huntin when it was raining I got fed up and decided I could get just as good of mpg with a 302 as the 2.9 and get a TON more power so I started rippin stuff out.
Well then that friend moved so I took it to another buddies and he helped when ever I got frustrated.
87 Ext cab Ranger 6" lift, extended and wristed radius arms, high steer, 63" cheby leafs, locked 44/open 9", 4.56's, 38" swamper boggers, 5.0, ZF5 speed, behemoth doubler, twin sticked NP205, air tank bumpers & a winch.
Rowdy Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
InsaneRedRooster

Vehicle Year: 2003
InsaneRedRooster will become famous soon enough

Cool truck man, I'm subcribed on this one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
InsaneRedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
Rowdy Fitzgerald
Hog hunter

Rowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of lightRowdy Fitzgerald is a glorious beacon of light

here's the cross member I okey rigged at first lol

The Dana 24

Then I had a hole in the header. The welder was a lil hot or they were a lol off and melted the tube. It was a 1/8" long 1/32 wide hole.

Then I drove it a lil bit but wasn't happy with it so I pulled the C6 out, looked high and low for a ZF5. Couldn't find one so I settled for a NP435. Didn't take any pics of it before I installed it though. Here's the t-case side of the adapter I had built.

Settin on the Dana 20.

Welded up! Aint the prettiest but there ain't a chance in hell it'll break!

C6 out and NP435 in!

While I had it at another buddies (and the use of a cement floor) I went ahead and slid the axel 2" forward to clear the fiberglass fenders. (don't really want a broken windshield).

Testin the front wheel drive out!

It was just after this I realized I had intake manifold leaks. So I traded that one back to the shop (it was used when I got it). It was a Weiand 2P 180 and the tops of the ports didn't have enough aluminum to seal around the ported head's ports (sorry no pics).

I got a brand new edelbrock air gap intake.

While I had the front end loose I had the suspension powder coated.

My new trans cross member.

The Dana 20 looks beautiful in there!

Np435

The adapter, shifter bracket my dumb ass put a inch too far back! Gotta cut it off again then move it forward.

And that's all for now folks! Tell me what you think. I know it's a pretty rough but I'm damn sure not done. Got more plans than I can handle right now.
87 Ext cab Ranger 6" lift, extended and wristed radius arms, high steer, 63" cheby leafs, locked 44/open 9", 4.56's, 38" swamper boggers, 5.0, ZF5 speed, behemoth doubler, twin sticked NP205, air tank bumpers & a winch.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Rowdy Fitzgerald
Hog hunter

Insane- thanks man I'll keep updating as much as I can!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
steven

steven is on a distinguished road

Nice work was wondering what spring set up you used in the rear and how much lift you got
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

Vehicle Year: 1983
I use this vehicle for: My DD, play toy
dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to dangerranger83

Looks nice. How does the Edelbrock intake work for you? Also how are the mpgs with the np435 and how good is it on trails, street, etc... Your the only person I have seen recently to use an np435. I also see that you used the plate style mounts for the engine. Do they set the engine down that lown that the fire wall need little to no mods to it because Im going with the mustang mounts and Im told they set the engine up higher.

I do also notice that you swap the FEAD to a serpetine setup. What was the vehicle that you got it from? I also assume the front driveshaft is custom and if not what did you get it from too?

I also saved a few of the pictures so that I know where stuff is going to be somewhat located on my truck. I will say the shifter sits far forward but as long as it gets modded, everything will be fine. They do make a short shifter kit or you can make your own for the np435 since they have such a long throw on them. And seeing how far forward everything is, they may just fit in a ranger.

Keep up the progress!!!!! Also scrib'd

EDIT: also forgot to say, no there is more space behind the shifter for cup holders or maybe a center consule. I have cup holders now but the consule is in my future.

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.

Last edited by dangerranger83; 06-14-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Cuz
dangerranger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
--weezl--
June 2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4 Level II
I use this vehicle for: stealing candy from babies, and sometimes driving to work
--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute

nice! i'm super into this build! glad to be in on page 1!

what block did you use? the edelbrock airgap has always been a fan of mine... i was looking at either one of them, or the performer RPM intake for my mustang, back when i was interested in it, and it wasn't stolen :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiranger View Post
I asked my girlfriend to measure it for me.. It's only an inch
check out my build thread
--weezl-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Rowdy Fitzgerald
Hog hunter

Steven- I used explorer leafs (it added 2") and I got a 2" add a leaf lift spring from summit and a block that came with the axel out of a 78 F150. About a total of 7" in the rear.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Rowdy Fitzgerald
Hog hunter

Danger- I just put the edelbrock intake on last night. Havnt even turned it over yet. I (wanted the permatex to hold good). I dropped my rear drive shafts off at the drive line shop to get built yesterday so I havnt gotten to drive it on the road yet sence I swapped from the C6 which I didn't drive much at all cuz I'm a manual trans guy. Just played with it in the yard till I got a rear drive shaft figured out lol. But as far as the trans and playing with it I'm diggin it big time! Only first gear goes far enough forward that I have to lean into it. It's compforable!
The plate mounts I think do set it lower and I even lowered the V6 mounts by another inch.

Belt system- I have a 88 HO block and I wanted to go V-belt so I bought a pump from summit that was for a 88 HO block V-belt application. Well turns out it was the wrong rotation so I said F it And pulled the serp system off a 91 Bronco. Sand blasted it and painted it.
The front drive shaft is a home shortened ranger rear drive shaft.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Rowdy Fitzgerald
Hog hunter

Weez- it's 88 HO block from a LX? I got it from a buddy but he was enjoying one of the libations of the gods so his speach was a lil impaired or slurred you might say when I called him about it.
That sucks about your mustang ever get it back?