Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #91
Kenneth S

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: Everything
Kenneth S will become famous soon enough

Mark, that is the underside of the 2.0 round port 2bbl intake (the aluminum looks nice after it's been glass beadded doen't it).

chilsam, the fuel injectors shoot the fuel right at the intake valve when it's open in a very fine mist so the intake runners don't need to be heated. The computer simply gives it more, or less fuel from the information sent from all the sensors (water temp, air temp, throttle position, etc).
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #92
chilsam

Vehicle Year: 91 branger
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: hybryd swb ranger bod fs bronco chassis
I use this vehicle for: FUN!
chilsam is on a distinguished road
Default Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth S View Post
Mark, that is the underside of the 2.0 round port 2bbl intake (the aluminum looks nice after it's been glass beadded doen't it).

chilsam, the fuel injectors shoot the fuel right at the intake valve when it's open in a very fine mist so the intake runners don't need to be heated. The computer simply gives it more, or less fuel from the information sent from all the sensors (water temp, air temp, throttle position, etc).
Is Power!
chilsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #93
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth S View Post
Yes...might have mine done some day...I know it's aluminum...

We've been tossing around the idea here lately about disconnecting the hose to the intake because it has the reverse effect on performance in warm weather as opposed to smooth running in the winter. I think upinsmoke was going to go ahead with it but not sure if he has accomplished that yet...

Do you have any experience with that particular mod either from personal or knowing someone who has done it? I would imagine that racing would be a whole different ball of wax from a street/DD application...and I know my truck runs rough until the engine has warmed up...

I have recently installed a block heater and it makes a huge difference on startup...my truck simply won't start if the temperature drops below -10 without the block heater...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #94
chilsam

Default Hot water from head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_88 View Post
Yes...might have mine done some day...I know it's aluminum...

We've been tossing around the idea here lately about disconnecting the hose to the intake because it has the reverse effect on performance in warm weather as opposed to smooth running in the winter. I think upinsmoke was going to go ahead with it but not sure if he has accomplished that yet...

Do you have any experience with that particular mod either from personal or knowing someone who has done it? I would imagine that racing would be a whole different ball of wax from a street/DD application...and I know my truck runs rough until the engine has warmed up...

I have recently installed a block heater and it makes a huge difference on startup...my truck simply won't start if the temperature drops below -10 without the block heater...
to eliminate the hot water wouldn't you have to also make a block off plate for the coolant passage from head to intake? It seems to me unhooking the hose would raise the temp
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #95
4b316

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: ranger
4b316 is on a distinguished road

Yes,with the carb on your 88 ,you would want to keep your water going thur the manifold to help starts.You must have something in your choke circuit to hinder starts as they usually start pretty good with a carb abit of black smoke from a over abundance of fuel(isn't EFI wonderful)from cold start carbs.The block heater is a good idea,saves on cranking over thick cold oil and like you said,starts better.For what lttle bit it hurts performance from warm water,it just isn't worth it to block it off.
4b316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #96
Kenneth S

Mark, chilsam, I haven't tried blocking off the water to the regular 2.3 intake during the warm months. Idealy you would need to pull the intake, and put a thin piece of stanless steel between the intake gasket, and the intake manifold at the water passage to keep any hot water out of the intake (along with removing the heater hose from the intake). Personally I just don't think it's worth doing on a daily driver, but it would be good to do if you were doing some sort of racing to get every ounce of power you can. If your daily driver had a set of forged pistons, a 50-75 hp nitrous kit would do the trick .

On another note I had a 72 Pinto with the EAO 2.0 S.O.H.C. engine with a pair of 45 DCOE Weber carbs, with the very short intake runners it had it didn't need any water in the winter months.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #97
chilsam

Default Nice!

Where did you get the chrome valve cover?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #98
Kenneth S

My sisters ex-husband chromed it for me where he worked making custom high-end lighting fixtures.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #99
itlives

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
itlives will become famous soon enoughitlives will become famous soon enough

Hey Kenneth, or anyone, can you give the number for the rochester 2 bbl that fits the OMC d-port intake. also like the idea of the 350 Holley on it, but wouldn't know how to make an adapter. Maybe someone has one for sale?
Maybe a list of carbs that will fit would be good?

Thanks Drew for letting go of your intake for me!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #100
John Smith

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: "sparked", carbed, TK5, 1350, 215's
John Smith will become famous soon enough
Default I actually have one...

If you are interested...It's a Rochester 2GC you can pm me I actually have the carb, and the OMC Cobra spark arrester air.cleaner..

Last edited by John Smith; 04-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote