• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flywheel (or flexplate?) loose on crankshaft

Explorer1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello
I`m new to this forum, and got this problem yesterday:
My 1996 Explorer 4.0 4WD Aut transm suddenly stopped pulling.
When I removed the starter I could turn the flywheel by hand. (Or is this called the flexplate?)
Anyway; it`s broken.
Is it possible the loose flywhell can have damaged other things? Crankshaft or converter?
Can I remove the transmission with the flywheel hanging on the converter, or schould I loosen the flywheel before lowering the transmisssion?

Any help appresiated!

reg
Norvald

jeffro184

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i just fixed one at work yesterday.work at a ford dealer. all you will need is a new flexplate (about $60). yes i would unbolt the converter because it might not seperate. i would also replace the converter seal while you are there.

Explorer1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you jeffro184!

Is flywheel and flexplate the same thing?

I have now the exhaust down and removed the drive-shafts.
My Haynes manual tell me to drain both gearboxes; is that necessary?

Can I take down transfercase and auotrans as one unit?

reg
Norvald

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
manuals have a flywheel, autos have a flexplate

jeffro184

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
if you are really strong of have a trans jack you can remove both. no you dont have to drain the fluid unless you want to change it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Even with a trans jack, some amount of manhandling is needed to mate the transmission and engine block. Remove them separately unless you can bench press the Governator without getting your lights knocked out.

No, you don't have to drain the transmission and transfer case, but if you slide the torque converter off the transmission input by accident, you're going to have a MASSIVE mess.

Explorer1996

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for valuable tips. I´ll take them down seperately and drain the autotransm first.

New question: When I grab the output-shaft of the transfercase I can move it vertically 1-2 mm. There is a slack, and I know it has been there for years. Oil is not seeping from the shaft (I just hope the transfercase is not dry....)

Is this normal, or is a bearing worn out?:bawling:

When the box is down it´s a good time to have it fixed if necessary....

reg
Norvald

Itchybruno47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Flexplate replacement

Hey all...posting in here because A) I am new and was hunting around for info about pulling the flexplate and replacing it, B) This thread seems like a good place to plant one and see where you guys send me, and 4) I cannot for the life of me find out where to start a new thread....so.. here is my question...

93 exploder xlt, 4 door, 4 wheel drive, auto, with air. 4.0 OHV

Can anyone point me to a detailed (with pics if possible) description of what I need to do to get at the old flexplate, pull it, and get a new one in there and get back on the road again? I am not a mechanic, but I am very stubborn and very mechanically inclined. I have read a lot of posts that say you have to drop the tranny right out, and I have read just as many that say you can do it by puling the tranny back. I like to know what I am getting into as much as I can though, before I get into it. Thanks ahead all,
IB

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all...posting in here because A) I am new and was hunting around for info about pulling the flexplate and replacing it, B) This thread seems like a good place to plant one and see where you guys send me, and 4) I cannot for the life of me find out where to start a new thread....so.. here is my question...

93 exploder xlt, 4 door, 4 wheel drive, auto, with air. 4.0 OHV

Can anyone point me to a detailed (with pics if possible) description of what I need to do to get at the old flexplate, pull it, and get a new one in there and get back on the road again? I am not a mechanic, but I am very stubborn and very mechanically inclined. I have read a lot of posts that say you have to drop the tranny right out, and I have read just as many that say you can do it by puling the tranny back. I like to know what I am getting into as much as I can though, before I get into it. Thanks ahead all,
IB
You just revived a 5 year old thread. You need to start another thread with your question but not before searching here first http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/search.php

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals