• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Comp 988 dual valve springs = lifter noise???

squealingtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Has anybody running the Comp 988 dual valve springs notice any extra lifter noise? I'm noticing enough noise to be annoyed. I'm running the Comp 410 cam and I understand the dual springs were not required but were recommended for my 4.0L OHV aplication. The additional seat pressure has me concerned that the lifters (Brand new Hylift-Johnson) won't be able to keep up. I'll give them a few miles to work any air out before I do anything but was interested in anybody elses experience.

What are your thoughts?

squealingtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Here is some more infor that I dug up

Sealed Power VS1630 (I think these are factory replacements - can anyone verify factory spring specs)
Closed force @ 1.5" = 98lbs
Open force @ 1.15" = 177lbs
This equates to 225lbs/inch

Comp 988 dual valve springs
Closed force @ 1.6" = 117lbs
Open force @ 1.1" = 232lbs
This equates to 230lbs/inch

So basically there is little difference with respect to what the lifters would have to overcome between the factory springs and the Comp 988 springs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals