Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Events - Recreation - Survival > Hunting, Fishing, Weapons & Survival

Notices

Hunting, Fishing, Weapons & Survival Discussing everything from equipment to what you caught.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
BDAB

Vehicle Year: 00, 99, 00
Vehicle Make: Ford, Ford, Bui
Vehicle Model: Excursion, Expedition, Regal
I use this vehicle for: family truckster, winter beater, daily driver
My credo: If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
BDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud of

My bobtail gets 16mpg with no trailer. Can push. Anything out of its way and can run on bio fuel/ wmo. Has enough room for my family of 5 and can pull whatever I want. I got a few days worth of MRE's and storable food and water filters....... Plan on a cross bow, shot gun, AR-15, my 9mm, and a big bore I have yet to purchase...... Like somebody else said, I plan on staying on the move.

And a sword for dispatching zombies..... And a chain saw... Just a good idea to have one.

Last edited by BDAB; 11-16-2011 at 01:43 PM.
BDAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Situations I see myself potentially faced with:

1) Being snowed in
2) A black out (temporary - hours or several days)
3) Natural disaster (Tornado? - that could disrupt services for weeks and block roads)
4) Terrorist attack/war (That either disrupts services by direct attack or EMP)

My 4x4 F-150 if equipped with a shell on the back and winch in the front, could be a great bugout vehicle during natural disaster, but may not be useful if an EMP was used.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
BDAB

Vehicle Year: 00, 99, 00
Vehicle Make: Ford, Ford, Bui
Vehicle Model: Excursion, Expedition, Regal
I use this vehicle for: family truckster, winter beater, daily driver
My credo: If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
BDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud of

Yeah..... Bobtail would also fail during emp...... Idi diesel with an air starter would solve that.... Or be prepared to swap electronic parts..... I should put a spare ecm and fuel modules for the bobtail in the box and get ahold of spare powerstroke electronics.

Not to worried about being snowed in and I can build a simple windmill for power if it came to that.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
heptofite

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being Totally Awesome
heptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to behold

really, all you need is an epic ****load of ammo and a car.

trade ammo for what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I think Rangers are pussy trucks. Mine has gotten me so much pussy, if I have to fix it every day for the rest of my life, it has still earned it's keep.
heptofite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #25
88_Eddie
Motorboater (.Y.)

Chopper Challenge Champion

Vehicle Year: 1988, 2000
Vehicle Model: Bronco II (Eddie Bauer), Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Annoying the old ball and chain.
88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3507 View Post
Ive been interested in this for some time. There are some great websites out there with good information. Ive always heard that older vehicles that arent computer based are the best for a bug-out vehicle. 4wd of course. I keep a small bag in my truck with lighters, food, water, an emergency blanket and some other things. One of those just in case things. If anyone is looking for good books on the subject you need to read a book called Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. Its a fiction book that reads almost like a manual on bugging out. One of my favorite books of all time is called One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It really opens your eyes and makes you think. I highly recommend this one.
daniel is right on this. both of those books are great, i own both of them. they really open your eyes and make you think about stuff.

"One Second After" is more of a story and some of the stuff probably wouldnt happen as the author writes it.

"Patriots" is an in depth look at scenarios you could be faced with as well as things you need to think about storing away. it's put into a novel format so it isnt so dry and is actually entertaining.

with a full out collapse of society, where reconstruction is going to be years away, the population is going to start falling off quickly. especially if it were to happen this time of year. you'd have a lot of people that just arent prepared and would die of starvation and exposure.

people that take heart medicine, cholesterol medicine, diabetes supplies, etc., they depend on a functioning society in order to get those meds. they're days are numbered based on their current supply.

also, simple things like appendicitis are suddenly going to become life threatening again. even with a surgeon, if you dont have a sterile environment to do the surgery, your chances of surviving are slim.

you want to have as low a signature as possible and be WAY off the beaten path. yeah, owning animals would be great, but that's gonna give another group of people a reason to come kill you. you cant keep a heard of cattle or chickens or hogs quiet enough that no one knows you have them. the best way to survive would be planting almost all of your food, having food already stored up and being able to can food for the cold months. and like will said, you need a large group of friends and guns/ammo to defend yourself.
2000 Explorer 4.0 2WD DD
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11.
The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedding Crashers
What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? You motorboatin son of a bitch! You old sailor you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
88_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
daniel3507

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: truckin around
daniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant future

It would be important to have items you could barter with as well. Booze and cigarettes especially would be good things to have so you can trade them for things you really need.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Show Off Thread
Build Thread (click)
1993 Ranger XLT 4.0, 20% tint, 2'' spacers, RS9000XL adjustable front shocks, Bilstein rear shocks, 4.10 gears, 31'' tires, 15'' Alcoa's, custom front shackles, Lvl II rear tow hook, 2.25'' exhaust w/ Super 44, Screamin' Demon coil pack, slotted rotors w/ EBC Greenstuff, Delta Cam rockers and pushrods
daniel3507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of todays generations know how to can food? My mom and aunts could, but I don't know how.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #28
84 ranger 2.3

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
84 ranger 2.3 is on a distinguished road

in my opinion knowledge is the key! got a army training hand book and reading cover to cover. a person needs to know combat hand to hand and good self defense. got my ammo and weapons too. learn to farm, build and repair as much as possible. build a team to help each other organize and plan. getting stock pile of mres going. girlfriend is staff sargent and son and some friends in service also. aquaint yourself with some. you eyes will open up to possiblities. learning how to harvest rain water and gonna make something to generrate it's own electricity. a good shelter will be key in case of nuclear fallout (radiation). enough of my soap box. how ham radio operators? communication is a key issue also.
84 ranger 2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
88_Eddie
Motorboater (.Y.)

Chopper Challenge Champion

Vehicle Year: 1988, 2000
Vehicle Model: Bronco II (Eddie Bauer), Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Annoying the old ball and chain.
88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oaks View Post
I wonder how many of todays generations know how to can food? My mom and aunts could, but I don't know how.
my grandparents can all sorts of stuff. they've shown me how to do it.
2000 Explorer 4.0 2WD DD
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11.
The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedding Crashers
What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? You motorboatin son of a bitch! You old sailor you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
88_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
4.0B2
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

ham radio will be key if its not an EMP thing.. cb doesn't offer the distance. i'm glad to call myself a ham operator, even tho i only have my tech license, we have HF units since my dad has all the licenses.

like mentioned, farming and canning of food will be useful to know to, if you're not on the move.. idk for sure that moving would be the best option. guess it depends on what resources you have...

personally i think i'd go down to our farm land in Pontotoc; w/ a little imagination and all the old farm stuff in the 5 different barns, i think i could make almost anything i need.

farm by hand to save what fuel was available. there's a few natural springs on our land down there... plenty of game to hunt, even just wild hogs... good bit of them. there's even an old windmill on the property that used to power the well pump. i think i'm pretty good as long as i got ammo and food (or a way to grow it)
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote