Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
bduke23

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: general shenanigans
bduke23 is on a distinguished road
Default Spare Tire Mount Fix/Improvement

Having my spare tire in my bed has really started to annoy me. I like how easy it is to get at, but I have only needed it once in the last year and some, and always having to move it around or take it out whenever I want to put anything of any size in my bed is a real annoyance. So, I have decided to put it back in its stock position under the bed.

What stopped me from doing this in the past was the fact that the bolt on the tire carrier to lower it was frozen with rust, and not even a breaker bar would make it give in. Annoyance finally outweighing the effort, i broke out the air impact and got it loose. I cleaned all the rust of the threads and ran it in and out until it tightens and loosens by hand relatively easily, and then covered absolutely every mm in anti seize. However, I have run into the problem of how to secure the tire on the carrier.

I see that there is a nut attached to the side of the peg that sticks through the center of the tire, but my truck is missing the bolt that would go into it, and this nut is essentially 100% rust. I figure I've got three options:

1) Clean out the threads in that nut, and find the correct bolt to hold my spare down. I anticipate a lot of difficulty in finding the right bolt, unless someone has one just laying around.

2) Knocking out the nut altogether, and just putting a long stud(with washer on end) through hole in spare, through hole where nut was, with another large washer and nut to hold it in place. The center hole of the spare though is barely catching on the peg from the carrier, so it slides around/comes off with enough of a bump. Will just one bolt be sufficient? Which leads me to

3) Same as two, but with a matching assembly through another hole in tire on opposite side, going through a hole drilled farther up on the carrier. This gives two bolts holding it down, and should stop if from moving around at all.

Whaddya think?
Wrangler Territory 235/75/15
bduke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
straycat
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 02 06 and 2012
Vehicle Make: Jeeps
Vehicle Model: 02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 06 Wrangler X 5.7 Hemi 87 Samurai 4x4 2012 Wrangler JK-8
I use this vehicle for: DD and trail rides
straycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud of

I have a 33x12.5x15 spare in my bed with a modified bed extender. My spare tire won't fit under the bed like the stock one does. With a spare tire bracket mount you can position your spare tire anywhere in the bed. What size spare tire are you using? I am looking at the photo your Avatar and it does not look like you have really tall tires to me. You can stand it up on one side of the bed or put it upfront. If you have a roof rack and basket like me you can also mount it up on the roof. So many options. I believe a 31x10.5 will mount under the bed in the stock location. I think a buddy did that on his sons Ranger and it worked. I have not tried that yet to see.

99 Ranger XLT 4 door Supercab lifted 2wd
33x12.5x15 KO's on 15x8 AR polished rims
Spare 33 KO mounted flat in bed/custom bed extender
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
bduke23

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: general shenanigans
bduke23 is on a distinguished road

Yea I just have the stock 235/75/15's on it. I want it completely out of the bed, that was why I moved back to the stock location to begin with. And no I do not have a roof rack.
Wrangler Territory 235/75/15
bduke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
02RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2002
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold

Mount it to the bumper with one of those swing-away tire carriers?
Huked on fonikz workded good fer me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5L_STX View Post
meh, :kicks dirt: :walks away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrian222 View Post
Somewhere, a village in Kenya is missing its idiot.
02RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
getrdone52
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1998
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
getrdone52 is a splendid one to beholdgetrdone52 is a splendid one to beholdgetrdone52 is a splendid one to beholdgetrdone52 is a splendid one to beholdgetrdone52 is a splendid one to beholdgetrdone52 is a splendid one to behold

I was thinking of doing mine like this.

Ok no picture i guess. I don't get why it's so hard for me to post a stupid picture. Anyways, I was thinking of putting it between the wheel well arc in the bed and the cab. I wouldn't really know how to mount it though.

Last edited by getrdone52; 09-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.
getrdone52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
straycat
Premium Member

Vehicle Model: 02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 06 Wrangler X 5.7 Hemi 87 Samurai 4x4 2012 Wrangler JK-8
straycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud of

This what mine looks like mounted. I can still get stuff in the bed. I have my roof rack and roof basket to haul stuff around in as well. I can still get a dirt bike in the bed but not my 4wheeler.

If I really need extra space I have my little off road trailer I can stash stuff for a weekend of camping and extra gear.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

You might check into retrofitting a winch type carrier off of a later truck (98+?) Maybe a Ranger never had it, my F-150 does and I love it.

They bolt to a crossmember (easy to make if you can't adapt one) and just winch the tire up in there.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
straycat
Premium Member

One thing, I am not crawling up under a truck to get a spare tire. I really think that is the stupidest thing in the word to have a spare mounted under the bed. The first thing I did when ever I bought a truck was to mount a spare somewhere different. My BII's had spare tire carriers on the back and my Jeeps have them there as well.
My Nissan and Toyota trucks were all mounted in the bed or I had a custom swing away mounted to the bed. I used a few BII spare tire carriers for my older trucks and that was so cool and looked cool and worked great whenever I needed the tail gate down. I could swing the carrier out and way from the tailgate. Whoever originally thought of mounting the spare under the bed was a complete idiot as far as I am concerned!!!! I still want to slap them till the end of time!!!!!

If I really need to I can use my Yakima roof rack and Basket Case. It will hold up to 150 lbs. I can mount the spare tire there. I mounted it up there before when I had my 4wheeler in the bed when I drove out to Moab last year.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

And I think it is the stupidest thing in the world to tie up valuable bed space with a spare tire mounted flat. It is always in the way. If you are going to mount it in the bed ditch the flat mount thing and get the bracket to mount it vertically in the front of the bed behind the drivers seat so it doesn't obstruct the view. It doesn't look as "cool" but is far more functional for a truck that is actually used as a truck.

With the winch thing you don't crawl under the truck anyway. You poke the crank through a hole in the bumper and crank it down, pull it out from under the truck and take the steel peice out of the center of the hub. Installation is reverse of removal, there is enough slack in the cable to get it out from under the truck and the winch will pull it back under. You are no closer to crawling under the truck to get the tire than you will be changing it.

I can haul whatever fits in the bed of my truck without even looking at my spare. Four wheelers, deer, dirtbikes, engines w/transmissions, axles w/springs furniture of any discription... if it fits it ships. Compared to how many times I haul something (countless) to how many times I have used my spare aside from rotating tires (once in 11 years with a license) it is a no brainer for me where to put the spare. You can dink around with a roof rack or "offroad trailer" all you want, I will use my bed as it was intended and not a glorified tire carrier.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)

Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 09-16-2011 at 03:18 PM.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
And I think it is the stupidest thing in the world to tie up valuable bed space with a spare tire mounted flat.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote