• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

not getting fuel pressure?

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I'm new here and got a question. I'm lookin into buying a 97 ranger. It has a fuel cell with an aftermarket fuel pump. It is currently not running. The guy told me that he can get it to run by pinching the return line? He also told me he has replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. I would like to know what I'm gettin myself into if I do buy the truck. Thanks!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why is he not willing to fix it before he sells it? Take it to a mechanic so that you know what you're buying.

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gettin it for a good price...that's why he's not fixing it. Its has full air ride on it and I'm only givin $1500 for it

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gettin it for a good price...that's why he's not fixing it. Its has full air ride on it and I'm only givin $1500 for it. He's come down $1000 for me....

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would like to know what I'm gettin myself into if I do buy the truck. Thanks!
Maybe the price will not be as good as it appears. All we can do is give possibles, if you want to really know then nothing will replace hands on diagnosis. But it appears you're set to buy it no matter what - I hope the price turns out to be really a good deal.

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's the thing. I would like to have some ideas what to look for IF I do buy it. If it sounds like too much of a hassle, I'm not goin to get. I understand nothin replaces hands on. But I just need some insight. I'm not 100% set on buyin yet

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The guy told me that he can get it to run by pinching the return line? He also told me he has replaced the fuel pressure regulator.
If we assume the new regulator is operating OK then it may be the fuel pump not producing enough volume to maintain pressure, it would depend on how the regulator controls pressure. Running at idle with the line pinched is a lot different than running at speed when more fuel is required.

Have you seen it run with the line pinched?

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunately I haven't seen it run. I'm goin to look at it tomorrow. Ill be back on to post my findings. Thanks

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
I just skimmed through the thread, but it sounds like it has a fuel pump for a carb. they only run up to 4-10 psi, you need 60 psi at the pump.

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I looked at the truck & decided to take a chance and got it. I did get to hear it run but in short bursts..couldn't get it to idle. The truck has an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, more than neccesary. I'm goin to go ahead and replace the plugs and fuel filter, see where that gets me. Some other mechanic friends have said maybe a check valve in the pump? The truck has been bagged and he put a fuel cell with the pump for clearance

ledfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update

So good news! Got the ranger running. I decided to put on a smaller fuel pump, something similar to stock in flow rates & psi, I ran smaller 5/16" lines for the feed & return instead of the 3/8" that was on there. I then unplugged the PCM to allow it to remap itself & she fired right up! I cruised her all day yesterday with no issues

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals