Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
RangerBoy94

Vehicle Year: 1968
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: F-250 Ranger Camper Special
I use this vehicle for: Never Ending Project
RangerBoy94 is just really niceRangerBoy94 is just really niceRangerBoy94 is just really niceRangerBoy94 is just really niceRangerBoy94 is just really nice
Default Headliner Replacement

Well Since my engine swap is almost done I need a new project.Has anyone done this before. My headliner is all torn up and needs to be replaced. I want to do a custom job with camo fabric. Do I need to just glue over the old headliner or tear the foam and everything off then glue it on. What kinda glue should I use and what type of fabric?
RangerBoy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Grey_04

Grey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to behold

i just went to wally world and got a can of 3m spray adhesive and then stopped by Joanne fabrics. started by removing the visors grab handles and dome light. then removed the trim piece in the drivers side pulling the headliner out of the truck. then spread the fabric out dry, fold in half spray right on the existing material and the new fabric.. wait a few seconds then work slowly spreading the fabric over....repeated for the other half.. grand total of about $15.00 i did mine in mossy oak..

i have a couple of small wrinkles in mine but oh well it's a work/fire response truck not a show piece..here's a pic of how mine turned out.
i seen yours is torn up I'd suggest cleaning off any loose stuff or getting a different headliner board first..

Grey_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
GTxone

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Model: Ranger Sport
I use this vehicle for: street truck
GTxone is on a distinguished road

cool nice job
GTxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
fyre82

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger Custom Ranger Super Cab
I use this vehicle for: everything
My credo: The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
fyre82 has a spectacular aura aboutfyre82 has a spectacular aura about

Nice camo, but pink dice??

Sorry, had to . . .

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2534007
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2868105
fyre82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
HRTKD

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger
HRTKD is on a distinguished road

I did my headliner last year. It was drooping badly. This was a lot of work as there are no replacement backing boards available for my model/year. If you can find a replacement board I highly recommend doing that as the work to remove the old fabric and fix any issues with the board are time consuming. (My backing board is fiberglass and a royal pain in the butt)

I bought replacement material and adhesive from StockInteriors.com. The color match was very, very close. But since you're looking for camo the color match doesn't matter. I didn't see a camo color on their site but they do have backer boards. I bought 2 yards, 54" wide.

I think the 3M spray adhesive will work. The can of adhesive I got from Stock Interiors wasn't quite enough so I used some 3M spray I had laying around. I was perhaps a bit liberal in my application of the adhesive. Do look at their install instructions. I also found a video that showed how to do it and that was very helpful. Consider adding some sound insulation to the roof while you're at it.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
noahkenny

Vehicle Year: 1989 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
noahkenny will become famous soon enough

They guys have you pointed in the right direction. The advise I will give you is use quality spray adhesive. I do like the 3m and there are different brands you can use but no cheap stuff. Its best to ask upholstry guys on what they use. I have my headliner out right now in need of redoing it. Just havent got around to it. If the backing foam is loose then take a soft to meduim brush like a car washing brush and brush off the loose foam. Use plenty of adhesive just not so much that it soaks through your material. And take your time, its best to let the adhesive to tack up before applying your material. I do like the camo...nice...
noahkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Grey_04

Grey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to beholdGrey_04 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyre82 View Post
Nice camo, but pink dice??

Sorry, had to . . .
i posted this pic before.. for those that don't remember, my grandfather used to drive a '71 brockway hauling coal. he used to have a pair hanging in his truck just like that when i rode in the truck with him as a kid. since he was more of a father figure to me than a grandfather i have had a set of dice in my trucks as a reminder and memorial thing to the greatest influence in my life.........silly i know but since his passing in '86 i've been really lost without my pap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahkenny View Post
They guys have you pointed in the right direction. The advise I will give you is use quality spray adhesive. I do like the 3m and there are different brands you can use but no cheap stuff. Its best to ask upholstry guys on what they use. I have my headliner out right now in need of redoing it. Just havent got around to it. If the backing foam is loose then take a soft to meduim brush like a car washing brush and brush off the loose foam. Use plenty of adhesive just not so much that it soaks through your material. And take your time, its best to let the adhesive to tack up before applying your material. I do like the camo...nice...
I've found using a wire brush with light pressure works great,,, that was my 4th headliner I've done..
Grey_04 is offline   Reply With Quote