• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front shocks for my lifted 2003

03FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have my torsion bars cranked in the front of my 2003 ford ranger FX4.. what is the best shock I should put in the front? I'm looking for something longer.

Thanks

03FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

03FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bump.. still curious.. need an extended length shock for the front.. torsion bars cranked a couple inches up

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you have Bilsteins, keep them and put shock spacers in. (custom or aftermarket)

If you have whatever other crap shocks the truck came with, Rancho makes extended length shocks for a reasonable price.

your ride will increase 200%

as far as I could tell Rancho was the only company making extended length specific shocks.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Summit shows Skyjacker in various lengths too... or they did for my truck anyway.

I just put a pair in the front of my truck and I like them. They are kind of on the cheap side at $43 per nitro so I don't know if they are the ultimate best thing out there. After driving with them for 4 days I love them though. :dunno:

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We've got an odd lower mount on our IFS - Torsion Bar trucks. Rancho was definitely the only ones I could find with a longer stroke.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That e how site doesnt make much sence to me unless i missed something. The shock is gonna need more travel than the bumpstop on the front because of the geometry of the suspension. In the back it will get u close.
For down travel, you need to unhook the shock and measure how far it comes from the mount, the shoclk is what limits downtravel in the front.

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fact of the matter is: The OE specified shocks on the IFS Torsion Bar trucks are barely long enough at stock height.

I went to full crank, and backed off 5 turns... My Bilsteins were fully extended. I then took off the lower shock mount nuts, and the front end popped up! The shocks were actually limiting the ride height. The torsion bars were pulling the shocks against their fully extended stops!

I put shock spacers in, my ride quality came back, suspension droop and travel came back. I then was able to go right upto one turn off of full crank.

I then pulled off one swaybar endlink, and turned it into a disconnect.

ON-ROAD capability of my truck is smoother, and handles better than stock - with no negative effects.

OFF-ROAD capability is incredible with the swaybar endlink off. The ride is SO SMOOTH, it feels like a Cadillac.

I went out with a guy on the weekend with a stock FX4, upto the local radio tower, It was 14km of rough, washboard, shale, rocky road. I had to keep waiting for him.. I took him for a ride, and he was in AWE at the ride quality of the truck.

Last edited:

VH5150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What did you use for spacers and where did you get them???
Thanks
MikeR

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
made them out of steel on the lower, and then made a set for the top stud mount out of a stainless steel sleeve.

that is exactly how ride-right can boast that their aftermarket keys don't negatively affect the ride. They include front shock spacers in their kit. Once I put the shock spacers in, the truck feels like stock on and offroad.

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
out of my torsion twist and shock spacers, I got enough lift that mytruck sits almost level with belltech shackles!! And those brought up the rear by almost 2 inches (and gave me so much flex, along with a smoother ride all over)

VH5150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Any way you can post some pics of the spacers that you made?
Thanks
MikeR

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have no pics, and I won't be near the truck again for a little while...

If you pull the shock off and look at it, you'll see that your lower mount has two 10mm bolts/studs sticking out of the shock. These go through your lower control arm. You should be able to shim them up with washers, or 10mm nuts and then put them back on. If your lower bolts are removeable out of the shock, like the shock shown below install longer bolts once it is shimmed up and re-install.

As for the upper, between the shoulder of the shock shaft (top of the blue boot) and the lower washer you should also be able to use something like a 9/16 nut or two and put it back together. I milled mine out of stainless, but almost anything will work. This is not needed if your lower bolts come out of the shock.

Front shock:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

suzuki14258

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow im soooooo glad i read this, im going to add some spacers to mine tomorrow, if i could gain a inch back on my bilsteins that would be awesome! They downward travel always bottoms out on mine with the t bars cranked. Especially offroad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals