Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Mr. Goodtimes

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger 3.0L 2WD
Mr. Goodtimes is on a distinguished road
Default 4.0 Swap into a 94 3.0

I'm looking to replace the old 3.0 in my 1994 2WD ranger. I'm doing a pretty detailed restoration of the truck and it's time to do the engine. While the 3.0 runs I want to replace it with a motor that has some more guts. I have some questions:

Engine:
Right now I'm looking at picking up a 4.0 OHV with either low miles or getting one rebuilt. Would this be the easiest way to do things or would it be any harder to install a newer 4.0 SOHC engine?

Transmission
Does the 4.0 OHV use the same transmission as the 3.0? The people at the local salvage yard have informed me that they are both Mazda transmissions but have different part numbers. So I'm guessing that perhaps it's the same tranny with a different bell housing?

Axle
If going with the 4.0 OHV should I replace the axle that came with the 3.0 or will that be sufficient?

All in all I'd like to get a good understanding as to what I'm in for when it comes to both a 4.0 OHV swap and 4.0 SOHC swap. I'm looking to compare the positives and negatives in order to make my decision.

I don't have the ability to cut and weld stuff so the swap needs to more or less be a drop in ordeal. If it helps any, the purpose of this truck is to turn it back into a nice daily driver. I'm also going to level it and eventually lift it as well as lock the rear in order to do some light off roading.
Mr. Goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
I'm looking to replace the old 3.0 in my 1994 2WD ranger. I'm doing a pretty detailed restoration of the truck and it's time to do the engine. While the 3.0 runs I want to replace it with a motor that has some more guts. I have some questions:

Engine:
Right now I'm looking at picking up a 4.0 OHV with either low miles or getting one rebuilt. Would this be the easiest way to do things or would it be any harder to install a newer 4.0 SOHC engine?

It would be MUCH harder to swap to a 4.0OHC

Transmission
Does the 4.0 OHV use the same transmission as the 3.0? The people at the local salvage yard have informed me that they are both Mazda transmissions but have different part numbers. So I'm guessing that perhaps it's the same tranny with a different bell housing?

The bellhousing is different but since it's cast integral with the case.... There are also internal differences

Axle
If going with the 4.0 OHV should I replace the axle that came with the 3.0 or will that be sufficient?

The front axle MAY already be the same depending on your axle ratio.
If you have 3.73 gears (axle code 86 or F6) there is nothing to change up front, and while changing out the rear isn't strictly necissary it's probably a real good idea....

All in all I'd like to get a good understanding as to what I'm in for when it comes to both a 4.0 OHV swap and 4.0 SOHC swap. I'm looking to compare the positives and negatives in order to make my decision.

The OHC runs on a completely different management system
The 4.0 can basically be swapped in if you get a donor harness froma 1993-94 ranger with your engine.

I don't have the ability to cut and weld stuff so the swap needs to more or less be a drop in ordeal. If it helps any, the purpose of this truck is to turn it back into a nice daily driver. I'm also going to level it and eventually lift it as well as lock the rear in order to do some light off roading.
a 4.0 OHV swap is not too difficult if you get the all the right parts from a Ranger donor vehicle.

the '93-94 4.0 will bolt right onto the exsisting motor mounts so no mount games are necissary.

you will need a Y-Pipe, from a 1993-94 4.0.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Mr. Goodtimes

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger 3.0L 2WD
Mr. Goodtimes is on a distinguished road

Allan, thanks a million for the help. Did the 4.0 OHV engines come with an 8.8? If not, will an 8.8 bolt right in or will I need to do modifications?
Mr. Goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

Yes, all 4.0 Rangers came with the 8.8" axle.

And yes the 8.8" will bolt right in

BTW when I say "donor harness" I mean start at the big round firewall connector and take every
inch of wire out from under the hood of the donor....

And make sure you get any electronic modules (special attention to the EDIS6 module)

AD

Last edited by AllanD; 05-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote