Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #41
adsm08
I like Oreos

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Yeah, locks keep honest people honest. To everyone else, all of your security features are just time killers.

If I really really want to, I can go to Walmart, walk up to any car I want and drive off with it in just a few minutes. And as long as I act like I belong in that car, nobody is going to question it, unless the real owner comes along.

I regularly leave the chevy unlocked at walmart, mostly because the contents of the bed are worth more in scrap (which it is) than everything in the cab. I walk up to it, keys still in my pocket, hop in, and drive off. Nobody gives me a second looks because I act like I own the truck.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & show your support? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Share it HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #42
colby450xc

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily driving, Work, Fun
colby450xc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to colby450xc

I would break out both of the door windows, wrap a chain around theroof and drag it on its side until it gets stuck between a couple trees and tears the roof off. After that I would put a hole in the gas tank and light the bitch on fire and leave.

Probably not really, but it sounds like fun.
colby450xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #43
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby450xc View Post
I would break out both of the door windows, wrap a chain around theroof and drag it on its side until it gets stuck between a couple trees and tears the roof off. After that I would put a hole in the gas tank and light the bitch on fire and leave.

Probably not really, but it sounds like fun.
Dang at least I was willing to put an honest effort into stealing his junk after I blew his truck up.

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
auto117584

Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B2300
I use this vehicle for: character building
auto117584 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA BEAN View Post
The last two posts are exactly why my first post wasnt serious, The answer should have been obvious before the question was even ask. If you park your rig at a trail head and leave it, nothing could stop me from stealing the junk out of you truck, off your truck or the whole truck and quick. All this crap about rigging it to kill or mame is bs, when someone dies your a premeditated murderer so thats all moot.
With years of experience my friends and I up here in Alaska have however discovered a low cost, low tech device to combat this problem and it works amazing. Its called a $200 beater with a heater 4wd subaru wagon, they go through about anything and have a ton of space for gear. No tinted windows and nothing left inside but a few french fries and the last bite of a quarter pounder on the floor.
Welcome to the future I give the the perverbial invisible car.

PS. Your statement that nobody likes me is pretty broad considering we have 30,000 members, especially coming from a noob as yourself. Yes I can consider a join date of 2009 noob considering I was a member for years even before the site crash of 2007. Have a great day.
Dude, i was totally kidding around! I might have had a beer, might have been feeling magnanimous or something. Sorry if it was offensive.

This is a great thread - a real eye opener. I plan to travel the west coast, California, Oregon Washington, and BC, and do a bunch of backpacking and camping. Leaving about March 14th (2012), which is two weeks and two days from now. I'm going to rig up a couple switches incase someone tries to start it. One for the fuel pump, and one for the clutch safety switch. Even if it's pushed, it won't run.

And maybe I'll try parking in "safer" spots, whatever that illusion is.
auto117584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #45
Jraymer360

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Soon to be a daily driver
Jraymer360 has a spectacular aura aboutJraymer360 has a spectacular aura about

Put a lifesize doll in the drivers seat with motion censored flood lights...and get a few airsoft claymores and place them around the truck.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFsQ8wIwAA

If that doesn't scare them off i don't know what will ( well real mines might..but you might have a problem with either the truck or the person stealing the truck when you get back)
Jraymer360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
auto117584

Quote:
Originally Posted by The83RangerMan View Post
... If you have to do something i would leave my truck at a safe secure location IE friend or family members house than get a dirt bike stash it in underbrush than ride to your truck...
This is a really practical suggestion. I'm just now DOING the safety stuff to the truck, and your suggestion got me to thinking... since i'm going to be doing backpacking, I might be able to find a place to park it, catch a ride from a shuttle or cab, to the trailhead, or rent a campground spot, which ought to be fairly safe. I'm worried about parking in a really remote spot, so probably I ought to just NOT park in a really remote spot. Unless I hide it. Thanks.

Research might show safe places to park for those using hiking trails in an area. For example, I can talk to the Rangers (the people, not the trucks).

Last edited by auto117584; 02-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #47
auto117584

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA BEAN View Post
Dang at least I was willing to put an honest effort into stealing his junk after I blew his truck up.
You're funny. That's why I thought I could say nobody likes you, in jest.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #48
Hagan
08/2013 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1986
I use this vehicle for: Picking up the ladies!
Hagan will become famous soon enough

Who cares about your truck. If someone steals it then they will steal it. At least they didn't take your life in the process. Its just a truck and there are thousands just like it. If you are so worried just get good insurance on it and hope for the best. My dad leaves his Honda Accord for weeks when he goes back packing/hiking and has never had a problem.

My 351w/zf5/np205 swap thread -> HERE
Hagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #49
Jraymer360

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Soon to be a daily driver
Jraymer360 has a spectacular aura aboutJraymer360 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Who cares about your truck. If someone steals it then they will steal it. At least they didn't take your life in the process. Its just a truck and there are thousands just like it. If you are so worried just get good insurance on it and hope for the best. My dad leaves his Honda Accord for weeks when he goes back packing/hiking and has never had a problem.
Yes there may be thousands like it , but this one is mine. and that makes it one of a kind
Jraymer360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #50
auto117584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Thanks for putting this issue of mine into a healthier perspective. The theft insurance is something I will look into. And sharing your dad's experience helps with perspective, too.

Thanks! I'm gonna add to your rep.