Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #81
kris97ranger

Vehicle Year: 1996 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger f350
I use this vehicle for: ranger was rolled. built a new one on tons. f350 is a tow pig/DD
kris97ranger is a glorious beacon of lightkris97ranger is a glorious beacon of lightkris97ranger is a glorious beacon of lightkris97ranger is a glorious beacon of lightkris97ranger is a glorious beacon of light

if you run the shackles the way slo-vo did up there with them going up towards the bed you can run a long shackle to get the most flex outta the spring and still keep the ride hight low
96 4.0 on tons and stuff
kris97ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #82
Kage
March 2012 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab 4x4
I use this vehicle for: Going places it shouldn't
Kage has a spectacular aura aboutKage has a spectacular aura aboutKage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris97ranger View Post
if you run the shackles the way slo-vo did up there with them going up towards the bed you can run a long shackle to get the most flex outta the spring and still keep the ride hight low
Agreed. Maybe I should rephrase the question some.

Since I'm not planning on re-arching the springs, will the shackel flip/no flip really matter?

The Trucks Photo Thread - Linky
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #83
Andres629

Vehicle Year: 1985/91
Vehicle Model: Branger
I use this vehicle for: Dump runzzzz
Andres629 has a spectacular aura aboutAndres629 has a spectacular aura about

If you flip the shackle, it will essentially lower it 3" and go right back to stock height. How much too high are you back there? If you were to make your own shackle mount, you could ultimately fine tune your ride height by dropping the shackle mount accordingly. Same goes for leaving it like the stock, unflipped way. You've got ~1" to play with that you can move the shackle mount up 'til it hits the bottom of the box. If any of this makes sense...
What Exactly Is It?? 1985 B2 frame with 91 Ranger body. Built 2.9, adapted C4, or maybe an M50D... D35/44 Frankenstein. 9" with Detroit and 5.13's out back. 315/70R17 Mickey T Baja Claws on 17x12 steelies.
The Daily 06 F-250 King Ranch, 6.0 PSD. Some go fast goodies, stock appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
BFH FTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1
Measuring the trailer all the way to the hitch instead of just the deck is like measuring your dick from behind your balls... Just sayin!
Andres629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #84
Kage
March 2012 OTOTM Winner

Kage has a spectacular aura aboutKage has a spectacular aura aboutKage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres629 View Post
If you flip the shackle, it will essentially lower it 3" and go right back to stock height.
Right, if I were to flip it, I'll make my own shackel mount to drop it where it needs to be (Might have to do that regardless).

Quote:
How much too high are you back there?
I was a wee bit tired last night, so I didn't get around to measuring anything

Quote:
If you were to make your own shackle mount, you could ultimately fine tune your ride height by dropping the shackle mount accordingly. Same goes for leaving it like the stock, unflipped way. You've got ~1" to play with that you can move the shackle mount up 'til it hits the bottom of the box. If any of this makes sense...
Yup, makes sense, and I'm not afraid to clearance the bed if need be.

So it goes back to is there any benefit articulation wise to flipping the rear shackle with the stock 63" pack?

In my mind I’m thinking it is worth flipping the shackle with the stock pack as it should get rid of the “jacking” that is inherit of the stock setup. This should help keep the body “flatter” as it flexes out.

Or am I ass backwards on this train of thought?

High jacking my own thread here for a second. I plan on replacing the clutch when I do the doubler (Seems as though the pilot bushing is going out, may as well get at it). And I read about a lot of slave failures. That said:

Who makes the best slave for these trucks? Is it worth the money to pony up and buy the ford part?

I recall finding a thread on the different slaves, but I’m having trouble finding it again. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the comments and help guys!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #85
86 slo-vo
02/2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: work and play
86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Don't take this wrong, but I love the back of your truck On a more serious note, do you recall approximately what your spring pads were set at (off of level) Or at least do you have an educated guess?
lol thanks man, i really couldnt tell you on the spring pads...i did it all by eyeball but i can get you a measurement here in a few

and as far as the 63's with a shackle flip you can deffinantly get the flatter when stuffing a tire, i really need to get some bump stops back there to keep it from going too far

i am happy with the shackle flip but there is no possible way to do the flip and keep the eye's level....do to so on a ranger your rear hanger would be over a foot below the frame and you would end up with a ton of lift

i know in this picture the rear leaf is completely flat

and a few more that will give you an idea of things

hope that helped ya a little
Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #86
Andres629

Vehicle Year: 1985/91
Vehicle Model: Branger
I use this vehicle for: Dump runzzzz
Andres629 has a spectacular aura aboutAndres629 has a spectacular aura about

Flip the shackle and make a dropped mount, you're right, it helps.

Far as clutch business, what I would honestly do (and this is just me...) is replace the whole shebang to a pre-'93 clutch. The '93+ slave is all plastic and known for leaking, whereas the the pre-'93 is a metal body. I also like the feel of the pre-'93 clutch better. But if you change it, you have to change the master, line, and slave, so it's best to try and find you a whole good setup in the JY.
What Exactly Is It?? 1985 B2 frame with 91 Ranger body. Built 2.9, adapted C4, or maybe an M50D... D35/44 Frankenstein. 9" with Detroit and 5.13's out back. 315/70R17 Mickey T Baja Claws on 17x12 steelies.
The Daily 06 F-250 King Ranch, 6.0 PSD. Some go fast goodies, stock appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
BFH FTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1
Measuring the trailer all the way to the hitch instead of just the deck is like measuring your dick from behind your balls... Just sayin!
Andres629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #87
Kage
March 2012 OTOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
lol thanks man, i really couldnt tell you on the spring pads...i did it all by eyeball but i can get you a measurement here in a few
Thanks, that would help me sleep better.

Quote:
...and as far as the 63's with a shackle flip you can deffinantly get the flatter when stuffing a tire, i really need to get some bump stops back there to keep it from going too far...
This still doesn't quite make sense in my head, but I've seen enough examples of it that I don't doubt it.

Quote:
i am happy with the shackle flip but there is no possible way to do the flip and keep the eye's level....do to so on a ranger your rear hanger would be over a foot below the frame and you would end up with a ton of lift...(Pulled photos)...hope that helped ya a little
That helped out alot, thanks!

Quote:
Flip the shackle and make a dropped mount, you're right, it helps.
I'm starting to become a believer

Quote:
...Far as clutch business, what I would honestly do (and this is just me...) is replace the whole shebang to a pre-'93 clutch. The '93+ slave is all plastic and known for leaking, whereas the the pre-'93 is a metal body. I also like the feel of the pre-'93 clutch better. But if you change it, you have to change the master, line, and slave, so it's best to try and find you a whole good setup in the JY.
I didn't even know that was an option, and I see what you're talking about with the plastic vs. metal issue. I'd really like to get away from the internal slave all together, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Bone yards don't usually have much 'fun' stuff around here, so I'm probably out of luck finding the master and correct line out here. It'd have to be a new purchase.

Back to the springs, I should have an update on the mock up tomorrow. I think I've got a handle on it at this point.

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #88
Kyle M.
GOING FOR BROKE

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: driving over stuff
Kyle M. will become famous soon enoughKyle M. will become famous soon enough

I like it, great work so far!

When I mounted my springs the 'factory' way, I had the same issue with the cab mount and spring mount. I ended up making a new crossmemeber with a cab mount built in(I can find a picture if you would like) Which gave me room for the spring hanger.

Now spring under the frame, I have a different frame, regular cab long box frame, but when I mounted my springs, with the stock shackle and no block I netted about 4" to 5" of lift, my best guess.

I will have my truck done tomorrow with pictures if you wanna have a look at that too.

www.CheapThrillsOffRoad.com
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #89
86 slo-vo
02/2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: work and play
86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all86 slo-vo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Thanks, that would help me sleep better.
now that i think about it some, at first i had them setup to the same as the stock expo pads under the axle but it wasnt quite enough so before i welded them in i pulled the pinion up maybe 5 degree's to get my double cardon shaft set like its suposed to....and i couldnt find my angle finder to give you an exact measurement

here is where i first setup my rear 63's from...

http://therangerstation.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28793

i also had mine arched the same, but had to throw in the second leaf from a stock ranger pack because they sagged a little
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #90
Kage
March 2012 OTOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
I like it, great work so far!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
When I mounted my springs the 'factory' way, I had the same issue with the cab mount and spring mount. I ended up making a new crossmemeber with a cab mount built in(I can find a picture if you would like) Which gave me room for the spring hanger.

Now spring under the frame, I have a different frame, regular cab long box frame, but when I mounted my springs, with the stock shackle and no block I netted about 4" to 5" of lift, my best guess.

I will have my truck done tomorrow with pictures if you wanna have a look at that too.
I wound up going a different route than you after all, but keep your build thread updated, I like seeing that trucks progress

Quote:
now that i think about it some, at first i had them setup to the same as the stock expo pads under the axle but it wasnt quite enough so before i welded them in i pulled the pinion up maybe 5 degree's to get my double cardon shaft set like its suposed to
Thanks for the insight!

Quote:
....and i couldnt find my angle finder to give you an exact measurement
So many smart ass remarks come to mind but I'll let them slide (My garage looks to be just about as organized as yours, so I dont' really have any room to poke fun )

Quote:
...here is where i first setup my rear 63's from...

http://therangerstation.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28793

i also had mine arched the same, but had to throw in the second leaf from a stock ranger pack because they sagged a little
Thanks that thread had alot more photos than what I was finding elsewhere.

Quick update for today (I'll grab more photos tomorrow and throw out alittle more information).

It appears that I was worried for no reason, once I had some weight ont he springs, the spring pads leveled out enough to make me happy with the angle they were sitting at.

Everything else went out the window though. I wound up mounting the front of the springs like this (further foward than I thought it would be):

Then I put a piece of C channel under the frame to support the rear springs (where the shackels will go):

Somehow everything worked out. It looks like I'm not going to be able to do a shackel flip at this time (no time/budget to get the leaf's re-arched). The rear shackel needs to be about 7" long, so that makes life stupid easy for getting the shackel done.

Nothing is burned in at this point, but I'm fairly happy with it so it may stay like it is.

The help/advice has been greatly apperciated guys! Thanks!