• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do i get more power out of my 2.3?

tsimmons21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be a 302
Transmission
Automatic

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's kind of a generic question... What kind of budget do you have, skills? You can make tons of power, just depends on what you want to spend...

DriverSideImpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing real easy you can do. The best thing to increase power from where you're sitting now is a full tune-up. Plugs, wires, air-filter, fuel-filter, oil change, coolant flush, thermostat. After that, a high-flow cat and a proper exhaust will make it a little more responsive. After all that, it will still only unlock 2-5 HP (still a little optimistic) (unless your truck really really needs a tune-up, then you might gain a little more VS where it's at right now).

Check out what gear ratio you have in the axle(s). While it's not extra power, adding lower gears (3.73:1, 4.10:1, 4.56:1) will make your truck quicker off the line. Thats probably the best boost for the buck.

Big HP gains, are port and polished head, aftermarket camshaft, headers, throttle body, turbocharger. However, these are all things that are harder to find/expensive for the 90's 2.3L.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drop in a stage 1 cam and do a little exhaust work. That will get you around 30hp. Port and shave the head for 20 more.

lordkyleofearth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97/95 hybrid
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drive it down hill or swap in a V6...

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
i got a 1986 ranger. i ported the head (free, head gasket kit $37), put a 1993 ford ranger stock roller cam in it(junkyard $10), a 1997 ford ranger stock header(junkyard $12), 2 1/4 inch exhaust to a cherry bomb and a side exit no cat(free after i scraped my cat), autozone cone filter($20), and blocked off the egr valve. my getup-n-go improved a ton and gas milage went from 21-22mpg to 26-27mpg. cheap easy improvements to do to the 2.3. also i have not got to doing it yet but 1986-1995 5.0 mustang injectors fit in the 2.3 they are 19lb injectors (stock computer will tolerate this)

DriverSideImpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i got a 1986 ranger. i ported the head (free, head gasket kit $37), put a 1993 ford ranger stock roller cam in it(junkyard $10), a 1997 ford ranger stock header(junkyard $12), 2 1/4 inch exhaust to a cherry bomb and a side exit no cat(free after i scraped my cat), autozone cone filter($20), and blocked off the egr valve. my getup-n-go improved a ton and gas milage went from 21-22mpg to 26-27mpg. cheap easy improvements to do to the 2.3. also i have not got to doing it yet but 1986-1995 5.0 mustang injectors fit in the 2.3 they are 19lb injectors (stock computer will tolerate this)

The cam and stock header wont help him. The 93-97 2.3L is already the most powerful stock 2.3L in a Ranger, it has the cam and header already on it, so you'll have to go aftermarket/custom on those.

What's the real advantage to adding bigger injectors to a more or less stock engine?

Also, blocking off/eliminating the EGR might throw a trouble code/CEL.

tsimmons21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be a 302
Transmission
Automatic
apreciate it guys.

i've had a tune up recently, found out today the 2 bolts on my throttle were loose and i tightened them up and that made it run a bit better today, i'm not lookin for street performance applications, sorry i was brief. i've got a 4inch suspention lift i'm lookin to make my truck into a prerunner, don't have a huge budget but i'm lookin for different suggestions you all have, and i apreciate it!

tsimmons21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be a 302
Transmission
Automatic
ya i would like to do that, but i have to have the money to drop a grand or 2, once i replace the engine with a v6 i have to swap axles and axles are exspensive too

tsimmons21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be a 302
Transmission
Automatic
also

what are some good websites to find performance parts for a 2.3 ranger, i'm having trouble finding good websites that actually have a good amount of parts for that engine.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
search for these:
esslingerengineering
racerwalsh
needhp
raceengineering

comp cams and elgin cams have stuff also.

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
What's the real advantage to adding bigger injectors to a more or less stock engine?

Also, blocking off/eliminating the EGR might throw a trouble code/CEL.
well with my application (didn't realize he had a 1995) adding bigger injectors along with the added header and intake setup. i've got more air, so add more fuel and that makes more power. like you said the 1995-1997 were the most powerful well those also had 15lb per hour injectors unlike all other years that came with 14 lb.

the egr may set a code, (not on mine but a 1995 might be different idk?) the egr stands for exhaust gas reticulation. and what it does is mixes exhaust gas with you combustion mixture to lower emissions. at WOT the should be not mixing exhaust gas but, at lower rpms it till happens. cruising speed is right around 2000-2200 at 55mph so you will be getting less than optimal milage with your egr hooked up.http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_thumby.gif

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well with my application (didn't realize he had a 1995) adding bigger injectors along with the added header and intake setup. i've got more air, so add more fuel and that makes more power. like you said the 1995-1997 were the most powerful well those also had 15lb per hour injectors unlike all other years that came with 14 lb.

the egr may set a code, (not on mine but a 1995 might be different idk?) the egr stands for exhaust gas reticulation. and what it does is mixes exhaust gas with you combustion mixture to lower emissions. at WOT the should be not mixing exhaust gas but, at lower rpms it till happens. cruising speed is right around 2000-2200 at 55mph so you will be getting less than optimal milage with your egr hooked up.http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_thumby.gif

drivers side impact might want you to add one more thing to this, the definition of "rhetorical question".

think it went past ya:icon_confused:

DriverSideImpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah...I mean idk if it really makes a big difference on a slightly modded engine. Maybe a little tiny bit on a port and polished engine with a cone filter and exhaust. But if you think about it all you have is an almost stock 1993-97 2.3L. Are 19lb injectors worth it on a close to stock 2.3? I know how an engine works...probably better than a lot of people on here (not like I'm an automotive guru). More air... you need more fuel, more fuel... you need more air. Its like when you hear a guy talking about how hes putting a 750cfm carb and headers on his 305 sbc...sounds like a good way of getting 9mpg and black smoke out of your Camaro.

But I honestly don't know on a 2.3...which is why I was asking. How good of a thing is it to put 19lb injectors on? Is there a big benefit?

Yeah I know what EGR does. It cools the burning temperature to reduce NOX emissions. It will more than likely throw at least one code because there will be an increase in emissions.

Last edited:

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The stock injectors should be fine til 130-140 hp. I have run 19lb injectors on a slightly modded 2.3 and it worked fine, idk about using them on a stock motor.

Here is some interesting info i found on moddedmustangs.com:

Test vehicle:
1987 Ford mustang LX

Engine size: 140 cu in.
No. of cyls: 4
Compression: 10.0:1
Ford Motorsport A-237 cam

Stock exhaust
119 HP4850 RPM 131 FT LB@ 3700

Ranger header 2.25" exhaust, turbo muffler
121 HP@4900 RPM 130 FT LB@ 3850 RPM

Pacesetter header 2.25" exhaust, turbo muffler
126 HP@4950 RPM 137 FT LB@ 3900 RPM

Speedway header 3"-2.5" exhaust, turbo muffler
147 HP@5200 RPM 151 FT LB@ 4050 RPM

the "speedway header" is found here: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/23-Ford-Pinto-Late-Model-Headers,3570.html

I have one^ on my 94 and really like it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals