• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick Washer Lift Questions

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tried searching, couldn't quite find an answer.

I want to do the washer lift to level out my ranger whenever I get around to installing my new ball joints, so I can have it aligned all in one shot. Does anyone know how much lift is needed on the gen 3 (93-97) trucks to level them?

I was thinking 1" of washers for 1.5" of lift total. My truck will still be alignable with the stock bushings right? Could I go higher? I wouldn't mind also lifting the rear an inch to match. I am going to get new shocks on all corners come spring/summer when I am out of school for the summer and working full time. In the meantime I was thinking of getting the stud extenders, that should work till then? And would I be able to use the stock shocks until the extenders come in the mail? It would be all city driving.

Finally, I couldn't find a definitive answer about this. After installing the washers, do I still need to let the springs settle before aligning everything? I will be reusing the old coil springs, not getting new ones. Did some reading, some folks said yes, some said that only applies to when new springs are installed.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully this all gets done this weekend!

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
2" is the max, both for alignment and the height of the stud for the lower retainer nut. That should level you out.

No need to settle them, since you're not adding weight to the truck.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats what I thought, the last eighteen years should have leveled it...

So to level it I need to lift it 2", so I should put the max amount of washers under it that I can?

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
You can only put a stack as tall as the amount/length of remaining threads on the stud beneath the coil.

If you want 2" of lift, divide 2 by 1.5, and you get 1.333", which is the amount of washers you want to put beneath the coil to lift 2" (1:1.5 ratio).

Likewise, if you have 2" of usable thread, and you stack 2" of washers under there, you will get 2" times 1.5 which is 3"....way too much and definitely un-align able.

Do some math to figure out what you need. Just keep in mind that 2" total lift is about the max to still be alignable. So about 1.33" of washers.

Don't weld your washers either, or at least not yet. Figure out where it will sit, and fine tune the ride height. Then later weld them up if you want.

And no, your coils shouldn't settle...they have had plenty of years to do that.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what about the shocks? Will they be ok for city driving until I can get the stud extenders in the mail, to hold them over until summer when I get new shocks to match the lift?

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
You'll probably hear some banging from the shock being maxed out, but please, don't use stud extenders, they will bend the top of the shock. I know from experience.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Stud extenders are sort of a janky fix. just buy a longer shock. most shocks aren't that expensive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals