• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what part is this?

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The part in question is the one with the orange hose going to it and is mountedf to the firewall. There is a small metal tube connecting to a larger tube but is broken off like the one in the picture. (Black tube)

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
An EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor possibly?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe it's a map sensor. Manifold Absolute Pressure.

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe it's a map sensor. Manifold Absolute Pressure.
From what I have read, this year of truck has a MAF but no MAP sensor? I think normally you have one or the other.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, that's a DPFE.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, Col_Sanders, that there is the part as mentioned above and it will help you pressure cook that chicken in no time...:)

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Col_Sanders, that there is the part as mentioned above and it will help you pressure cook that chicken in no time...:)
:D haha

So at the bottom of that hose is a metal elbow which has broken off the exhaust manifold. I was thinking of reattaching it with JBWeld but they advise that the temperature would be too high.

Im thinking tap the manifold and screw in a barbed hose fitting? I would assume that this is a common problem?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks for the negative rep...lol...I was beginning to think nobody noticed me anymore!

JBWeld wouldn't hold mostly because the part is not on the actual motor and any kind of movement would pull it off...especially if your motor is as active under the covers, er, hood as mine was...

Looks like it just presses onto the nub on the engine but I can't see the other end too clearly. Might be a bit of a squeeze getting in there with tools unless...oh, you already pulled the tb apart...that's how I noticed your secret identity...

If it just presses in and has a rubber hose...just make sure there is enough play in the hose and either JB weld or a sleeve over the two ends where it snapped...probably aluminum tubing so not hard to make a new one of those...unless it is threaded...my truck was carbed so I didn't have the joy of dealing with that part...the 98 is fuel injected but they changed that part for the newer engines...it's mounted right on the tb now...

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey mark,
I negative rep'ed you? How go I fix that lol.

The pic of the throttle body off is from someone else's who posted in a different thread. I borrowed the pic to show the part. I will begin taring mine apart soon.

The elbow in question is part of a metal EGR tube that comes off the hedder and has broken off. So I think the best way is to tap and insert a barbed hose nipple. I will see if I can take a pic or find a better one on here of the elbow.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No worries, I don't think it can actually be changed and you can't rep anyone again so soon...you need to spread the love around first...lol.

I'm sure you will have a better understanding of how it works and how to fix once the parts are off. I'm often surprised at how simply some things are done and how easily they break or come off...and equally surprised at the modifications that Ford and others have changed things over the years once it becomes a "known" issue.

I'm not sure if outright changing of the intake would work as an upgrade if desired because of all the minor changes in parts et al over the years...so you're probably best to simply fix this and once you have a better understanding might find a better solution...

Same with mine...I just went to FI and not fully familiar with all the small things I have to watch out for and maybe collect spare parts as needed.

Anyway...give a shout once you either fix it or need some help with the next step...everything on these engines is fairly simple...and it's usually something simple to fix them...that's why I like the 2.3/2.5 Lima...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Cant you just go to the bone yard and get another good part?

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I could but its an hours drive to the nearest wrecker. Its a small fix, I just mainly wanted to know what the sensor was for.

I'm about to finish doing a valve seal job and timing belt on my Volkswagen then the truck is next. Im just getting some info on the truck to get a head start on it. I know Volkswagen's inside and out but Ford engines are new to me. All engines are basically the same idea on how they work, the different makes and how they are put together is what I'm learning.

I will report back when I start chasing the knock and taking it apart.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals