• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Swap questions

molson101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I've searched around the internet, but haven't found specific answers for these questions. I've got a 2000 Ranger 2wd, and want to put a 5.0 in it, I'm in the midst of putting the engine together, but I have questions about some parts. I've read about some conversion kits online, but those kits were made for 83(?)-97, and it said after 97 that the Rangers had a suspension change, so I was wondering what I could use for the motor mounts, I've read that people can use 98-up Explorer motor mounts, but I was wondering if anyone has done it, same question with headers, can I use them from a 98-up Explorer? Any little hints or help would be much appreciated!:D:D:D

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Okay, so I've searched around the internet, but haven't found specific answers for these questions. I've got a 2000 Ranger 2wd, and want to put a 5.0 in it, I'm in the midst of putting the engine together, but I have questions about some parts. I've read about some conversion kits online, but those kits were made for 83(?)-97, and it said after 97 that the Rangers had a suspension change, so I was wondering what I could use for the motor mounts, I've read that people can use 98-up Explorer motor mounts, but I was wondering if anyone has done it, same question with headers, can I use them from a 98-up Explorer? Any little hints or help would be much appreciated!:D:D:D
I think most people here are using the custom engine plates and the stock 3.0/4.0 98-00 Ranger motor mounts. You may read that the 3.0 and 4.0 motor mounts have different part numbers but I compared the part numbers on my 3.0 mounts to the 4.0 mounts and they both had the same part number. I used the 3.0 mounts and they worked fine. I just hit 30,000 miles on my swap, good luck with your project.

The Explorer OE exhaust manifolds will work but they are pretty restrictive.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope -- No kits available and the kit's bits/parts/pieces for the prior gen Rangers won't work.

Custom engine mounting plates needed but use the OEM Ranger V6 mounts (minus the spacer under the left Ranger mount) -- I've posted some diagrams and there are other drawings as well.

OBX or Torque Monster headers from AL's, the cast Expo manifolds are better flowing than the earlier Expo tubular ones. Ford Racing parts did some Expo V8 headers, no longer available new, but perhaps used? The headers need to be V8 Ranger or V8 Explorer specific.

Check out my "lessons learned" thread, would be very similar to the path you're on.

0576Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Motor Mounts

Going from the explorer to ranger only took mild modification to motor mounts from the explorer was the way i decided to do it . Driver required no modification the passenger side needs to be flipped and shave the lip off so you can get close to the motor then cut over about a 1/2 inch and she will slide in .

0576Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Transmission Question

I have been trying to figure out how to override the 4x4 sensor on the transmission. It is throwing a fault in my transmission and not allowing it to shift into overdrive. Converted to 2WD ranger from AWD explorer.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Get a AWD Expo and use the motor mounts. I know for a fact that they will work. Just swap the Expo drive train with the Ranger drive train. All you have worry about is the drive shaft and wiring.

I have done this and know first hand.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals