• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why wont my 4 wheel drive work

jakethegoat5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 Ranger XLT 4x4. a few years ago i had my tranny(manual) replaced, they said they also replaced the transfer case as well. well shortly after they were replaced my front driveline was stolen out of my pickup. i recently moved to a new town and its getting into the snowy season. i put a new driveline in but cant get it to go into 4. i dont hear any sounds when i push the button and no lights come on. please help i need to get this fixed as soon as possible since it already started snowing last week and is getting worse.... thanks
-jake

93rangerXLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
im assuming you have the electronic 4wd like i have in my 93 XLT 4x4. your 4wd module should be on the driver's side behind the jump seat, expose it so you can see the module. sit in the driver's seat and push the 4wd button, if you dont hear a click then its the module or wiring to the module.

thats the only thing i can think of.

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago my '93 Ranger XLT had the 4WD drop out. No lights, no clicking, no nothing.

It's snowed here and I get the 300' driveway drifted over... and the 2WD ain't gonna cut it when I need 4WD to plow. So, last night in my cozy garage I took off the 4WD Shift Motor and cleaned it up, and replaced the plastic Shift Switch bumper (it was all broken up) with a section of vacuum line cut to fit.

After reinstalling the assembly and adjusting the switch position it worked perfectly. Good thing.. in the next two days the area will be getting another foot of snow. I took out the Ranger this morning and did a little "space management" by widening the snow berms and cleaning out the drive. Yesterday in 2WD I could hardly get through the snow. This morning it was much easier. The three hours spent cleaning and lubing and fixing was well spent. :icon_thumby:

We're I you, I'd look at the 4WD Shift Motor on the back of the transfer case. The fix is easy, and 100% free.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 Ranger XLT 4x4. a few years ago i had my tranny(manual) replaced, they said they also replaced the transfer case as well. well shortly after they were replaced my front driveline was stolen out of my pickup. i recently moved to a new town and its getting into the snowy season. i put a new driveline in but cant get it to go into 4. i dont hear any sounds when i push the button and no lights come on. please help i need to get this fixed as soon as possible since it already started snowing last week and is getting worse.... thanks
-jake
first listen for clicking behind the seat when you push the button, if you hear nothing then you need to gain access to the 4wd module behind the driver jump seat and unplug the large plugs and then push the 4wd test button, if the light blinks and goes solid then the problem is in the shift motor. if it does nothing you'll need to trace power and ground for the module

if you suspect the shift motor, the easiest fix is to remove the circular cover on the shift motor and clean the electrical contacts, its very common for these to get dirty and stop working.

if that all checks out then you'll need to remove the shift motor and see if it will move at all

OR you could just replace the shit motor if you doubt your skills

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Look at what I found.

In the same area as the module I found a new connector plug that someone else seems to have started to install and then stopped. Maybe the prior owner had this problem and started to fix it?

Pics of the new connector, as I found it, and the broken old one. I think this may be the problem. Next step will be to solder and shrinkwrap the new connector onto the old wires. This will be a PIA because of the location but it can be done.

The old connector:

The new uninstalled one I found in the same area as the module:

Old:

Thoughts?

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry misposted that one in the wrong thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals