• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much drop?

Mr._Graybeard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This is probably an easy question for someone who knows that they're doing -- unlike me.

I have a 2005 FX4 with Class III hitch. I just picked up a heavy-duty 5x8 trailer to haul fuel home for my pellet burner. I brought home a ton today and noticed that the trailer deck isn't quite flat. I think I'll probably need to get a hitch bar with at least a 3-inch drop vs. the 2-inch drop I have. The trailer has 14-inch wheels, BTW.

Any thoughts? Thank you kindly.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it's all about trailer hitch weight and how you distribute the weight on the trailer i believe you should be about 400 pounds max on the tongue. i trailer a coleman e-3 trailer which is about 2800 pounds dry. so you want your drop to level out your trailer with the weight you have on it at the time. if you you get your front end up too high you will have trouble steering on corners or fast bends.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
More costly but you might be able to put larger wheels and tires on the trailer, depending on how the fenders sit now. BTW, if you wanna do this, most trailers use the same lug pattern as our trucks. I once had a truck with trailer wheels all around.

Mr._Graybeard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your opinions gents. The trailer is 20 years old but the tires and wheels are brand new, so I think I'll stick with them. I'll go shopping for a new drawbar instead. That should level things out.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your welcome i hope i made a little sense there fyi i have several drop arms of different heights so i can adjust the level of what i'm towing and keep the hitch weight where i want it or you will push thru the corners if your front is up too high ! good luck

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
This is probably an easy question for someone who knows that they're doing -- unlike me.

I have a 2005 FX4 with Class III hitch. I just picked up a heavy-duty 5x8 trailer to haul fuel home for my pellet burner. I brought home a ton today and noticed that the trailer deck isn't quite flat. I think I'll probably need to get a hitch bar with at least a 3-inch drop vs. the 2-inch drop I have. The trailer has 14-inch wheels, BTW.

Any thoughts? Thank you kindly.
place your trailer on the level, measure from the ground to top of the inside the hitch where the ball sits, probably somewhere around 17" then take that measurement to your truck sitting on the level and measure up to the trail hitch height , The difference from the bottom of your truck receiver to trailer measurement is your drop.
Hope thats not too confusing. It would very difficult to measure the trailer loaded and have it pull level, it would depend on carrying the same weight all the time. Make sure the trailer is loaded with weight distributed evenly.:icon_thumby:

Mr._Graybeard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
place your trailer on the level, measure from the ground to top of the inside the hitch where the ball sits, probably somewhere around 17" then take that measurement to your truck sitting on the level and measure up to the trail hitch height , The difference from the bottom of your truck receiver to trailer measurement is your drop.
Hope thats not too confusing. It would very difficult to measure the trailer loaded and have it pull level, it would depend on carrying the same weight all the time. Make sure the trailer is loaded with weight distributed evenly.:icon_thumby:
I'll give that a try tomorrow -- thanks.

Mr._Graybeard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just an update -- after running with the trailer hauling several 1-ton loads I found that Muzzlestuffer's advice worked for me. Having the load forward of the trailer axle levels the trailer out, and, I think, contributes to a more stable ride. Again, thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for update.

sent while sitting on the throne

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals