• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 vs 89 B2 Opinions

2ruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you"
Hello all, I currently have an 89 B2 manual tcase and trans with manual hubs and an estimated 350k miles. Most of the body is straight but it was tboned on the passenger door before I purchased it. It wasn't totaled and it didn't damage the frame; just the door and rocker panel. I have the opportunity to get an 87 manual with auto/power tcase and I believe manual hubs. The body and interior are inn exceptional shape.

My question/concern comes with the electronic t case and difficulty in doing the 4.0 swap in an 87 vs an 89. I at the very least like the look of the manual t case lever next to the trans shifter (just me? Lol), is the elec one as reliable? Anybody have any issues with it? Or can I swap in the stronger (4.0) manual trans and case and just cut the floor pan for it to fit?

I won't be rock crawling with either (I fully intend to buy the 87 anyway) I don't think. I would like one for about a 50/50 mix of on road and off road driving through woods, mud and intermediate trails. If I did that to one I might extreme the other and let it get beat up, lol.

Summary:
So essentially, is there anything more difficult or limitations about doing a 4.0 swap on an 87? Or do y'all recommend a different swap for daily driving and weekend mudding? What about the elec t case? Reliable? Should I swap with something else? Or should I just take the panels and interior from the 87 and put them on the 89 once I get the door area fixed? Lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, electric is not as reliable as manual shift

The M5OD-R1 trans from a 4.0l 4x4 will bolt to your current manual transfer case
M5OD-R1 trans has integrated bell housing(not detachable) so trans must be for 4.0l
Some 2.9l engines did get the M5OD in late '80's but I think they were 2WD only
All 4.0l's had M5OD

2ruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you"
So, if I can source an M5OD-R1 I can use my current transfer case and just cut/punch through the trans tunnel to mount the shifter, bolt it all up to the 4.0 and install it and then all the other suspension stuff I can find on here later. Is that correct?

Also, I've been told the 4.0 from a 90/1-93/4 is a pretty simple swap to the 89, is it the same for the 87? Or is there a lot more to take care of since it's a different gen/body/cluster? Or is there a thread for that?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Swapping a 4.0 into the 88 and earlier trucks is not hard, but it is more involved than the 89+. In 89 the 4.0's harness will plug into the existing dash with no issues. In the older years it was a very different set of connections. It can be done but it takes a bit more wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals