• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with P0171 p0174

antihero214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im at a loss as to what is causing these lean codes.

so far i have:
replaced downstream o2 sensor
replaced iac (it was howling and truck was dying out at stops.)
replaced one verified leaking vacuum line.
replaced upper intake and fuel manifold gaskets.

ive smoke tested and used propane and carb cleaner. there is no leak.

fuel pressure is at 60psi running.

maf has been cleaned and tested.

where do i go from here.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engine? Auto or manual? 15 years old... Pcv elbow? Intake manifold gasket? Clogged fuel injector? How many miles?

Need something to work with other than lean bank one, and generally lean. Fuel filter? :) lol

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0174

I bet your fuel pressure drops at rpm, or you were afraid of blowing yourself up with the propane. I assure you, as long as you have the hood off or your hair back, it's just one little 'whoof' and then it's gone.

Last edited:

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Back when I first bought my truck I kept getting these codes. I tested for leaks and couldn't find any. Took me forever to find the vent line for the EVAP system had come loose off of the top of my fuel tank. I snapped it back in place and all was good. Every time the truck would go into purge mode for the EVAP system it would throw a lean code due to it pulling in fresh air into the intake instead of fuel vapor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Replacing the downstream O2 sensor was worthless. It doesn't contribute, at all, to the determination of rich or lean.

You need to tell us what engine you are working on. Since you have a 174 it could be a 3.0, or either of the 4.0s.

If you replaced the upper intake gasket the lower could be leaking. A PVC elbow could do it, and the one at the throttle body of the 4.0 SOHC is a common failure point these days.

Now if you have a scanner that can do live data you can access the fuel trims, take some recordings, and do a little math to help figure this out.

At idle take short fuel trim 1 and add long fuel trim one. Then do the same at 2500 RPM. Subtract the sums from each other, if the difference is more than 15 points it is an air leak. If it's less the MAF is likely at fault.

antihero214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 ranger p0171 174

its a 2000 ranger auto 4x4. 4.0 ohv. it has 145,000 miles on it. i changed the downstream 02 because it intermittently would drop out and not change from 0 volts. as i mentioned before fuel pressure is 60 psi running and doesnt drop when raising rpms. I was also quite liberal with both the propane stream and the carb cleaner. the ohv doesnt have the pcv elbow that the sohc has. the fuel long term fuel trims are always in excess of 15, usually 25.0 when under light acceleration, under medium acceleration will drop to normal range, heavy acceleration ft can reach as high as 40.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I digress...as of yet, I am undecided as to whether I am glad or sad that you didn't explode. There is a section here for Ford Techs. This is not it, from what I understand of the rules. :)

ADSM08: Y'all really should make a 'Ranger Rookie Ford Tech' section...or some such.

NEta: Sad. lol :beer:

#stilltypemysmilies

antihero214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok im a little confused. im not a ford tech. just someone with a problem that has requested help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
ok im a little confused. im not a ford tech. just someone with a problem that has requested help.
Ignore him. Anyone who uses hashtags clearly has no idea what is happening around him. It's even worse when doing it on a forum instead of Twitcher or Wheety or whatever it is.

antihero214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im beginning to think it is the lower intake gasket. i dont know what else it could be.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check the EVAP vent line coming off the top rear of the fuel tank?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals