• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tongue Weight

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Does anyone know the tongue weight for my 2007 Sport? I can't see to find it anywhere on my truck on in the manual.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Payload capacity is 1260lbs, that's the maximum weight that should be carried in the bed, including cargo and tongue weight.

The bumper/trailer hitch should also have a max. tongue weight.
You should see a label on or under the bumper with a "Class rating"
Class II is 350lb max. tongue weight
Class III is 500lb max. tongue weight

A trailer pulls best when it's tongue weight is 10%-15% of the trailers GROSS weight, so including all the cargo in the trailer.

A 2007 Ranger with 3.0l engine and automatic has a tow capacity of 2,500lbs
So max. tongue weight would be 250-350lbs with trailer at 2,500lbs

with 4.0l engine towing capacity jumps up to 5,500lbs so tongue weight max. would go up as well, 550-800lbs, but watch that trailer hitch max.

So tongue weight is not really something that can be listed in the manual, just remember payload capacity is the same, 1260lbs, which must be kept in mind if truck will be loaded down with cargo while pulling a trailer, and also the Class of the trailer hitch.
Class II 350lbs max.
Class III 500lbs max.
And then the max. towing weight for your engine and trans

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Payload capacity is 1260lbs, that's the maximum weight that should be carried in the bed, including cargo and tongue weight.

The bumper/trailer hitch should also have a max. tongue weight.
You should see a label on or under the bumper with a "Class rating"
Class II is 300lb max. tongue weight
Class III is 500lb max. tongue weight

A trailer pulls best when it's tongue weight is 10%-15% of the trailers GROSS weight, so including all the cargo in the trailer.

A 2007 Ranger with 3.0l engine and automatic has a tow capacity of 2,500lbs
So max. tongue weight would be 250-350lbs with trailer at 2,500lbs

with 4.0l engine towing capacity jumps up to 5,500lbs so tongue weight max. would go up as well, 550-800lbs, but watch that trailer hitch max.

So tongue weight is not really something that can be listed in the manual, just remember payload capacity is the same, 1260lbs, which must be kept in mind if truck will be loaded down with cargo while pulling a trailer, and also the Class of the trailer hitch.
Class II 300lbs max.
Class III 500lbs max.
And then the max. towing weight for your engine and trans
Awesome thanks.

MyFirstRanger

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Your accessories that you added to your truck (stock) must be subtracted from your payload (modified payload). Your people and cargo in the cab plus the cargo you put in the bed plus the tongue weight of the trailer must not exceed the modified payload.

Now for the towing capacity of the truck, all the weight in the truck (do not include the tongue weight of the trailer) plus the dry weight of the trailer (includes the tongue weight) plus the cargo in the trailer plus your truck accessories can not exceed the towing capacity of the truck.

Sorry if this is confusing, I've gone through many trucks because of the things I did not know about truck payload and towing capacity. I only tell you this info so you are safe when you are towing and in some places if you are caught overloading your truck, you have to leave your trailer there and find another way to move it...

P.S. If hauling over 2000 lbs most places require you to have brakes on the trailer. When using electric brakes (most common) you need a seven pin trailer hookup (electric) and a brake controller.

Last edited:

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
And, at the risk of stating the obvious (as this is a discussion about tongue weight), make sure to have WEIGHT ON THE TONGUE. I only say this because I have seen so many yahoos going down the road with their trailers weaving back and forth, loaded heavy to the rear of the trailer. The trailer actually tries to pass the truck, and it gets really hairy when it succeeds. Saw a dude scatter a load of lumber (enough for a deck) all over a fairly busy road, almost taking out two oncoming cars and doing some serious custom body work to the rear quarter of his SUV...NO TONGUE WEIGHT was the problem. Twisted his trailer a bit too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And, at the risk of stating the obvious (as this is a discussion about tongue weight), make sure to have WEIGHT ON THE TONGUE. I only say this because I have seen so many yahoos going down the road with their trailers weaving back and forth, loaded heavy to the rear of the trailer. The trailer actually tries to pass the truck, and it gets really hairy when it succeeds. Saw a dude scatter a load of lumber (enough for a deck) all over a fairly busy road, almost taking out two oncoming cars and doing some serious custom body work to the rear quarter of his SUV...NO TONGUE WEIGHT was the problem. Twisted his trailer a bit too.
There is a balance, steering gets funky with too much toungue weight too. My rule of thumb is to level the truck and adjust fore/aft on the trailer from there. It usually works out pretty good with a stock suspension.

I don't know what it would take to level out my Ranger with the Explorer leaves but I doubt my rule of thumb would apply. :D

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
10% of total trailer weight on the tongue, 15% if it's a little lighter.

for a 6,000lb trailer, it means 600lbs on the hitch. Which is likely what it says on most 2" receivers as a max tongue weight, and most 2" balls have a 6,000lb max trailer weight on them. It all works out nicely.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals