• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Longtime lurker, first time poster from IA

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been using your tech library and forums for some time as a lurker. I inherited a rustbucket 1985 Bronco II a couple of years ago. It was a real piece of junk, but I loved the way it looked, so I got a 1990 that was only mostly rusted out. Soon after, I picked up a 1991 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 4.0L V6, manual transmission, and four wheel drive.

Fast forward to today, I've got the 1985 completely stripped down for parts and junked. The 1990 is a day away from having the 2.9 removed. I plan to have the engine swap done and the Bronco on the road by this fall. I wanted to ask some questions and share some experiences so I finally signed up.

Happy to be here.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to the light side of TRS ~!

The dark side being in the shadows lurking...but learning...

I've read somewhere that the 4.0 and 2.9 match but I'm not sure of what is needed...if you are dropping in the 4x4 t-case and transmission it should work...but I also remember reading that the mounts are not the same so some mods need to be done...

I'm sure you know what you are going to do and pretty sure someone on here can give you more precise information as needed...so...welcome again...and remember to have fun regardless of the expletives needed to complete a job...it's always more fun when it's done...

My new slogan~!

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the optimism, but I do not, in fact, have any idea what I am doing. Haha.
This is really my first car project, I'm kind of learning as I go.

BUT, thanks to this site, I understand the 1991 4.0 to the 1990 bronco ii is ALMOST plug'n'play. The motor mounts should be fine, I hope. I guess I hadn't looked at the transmission mounts. Glad you brought it up.

I think the shaft does need to be modded, I would imagine the explorer one would be too long and the bronco one might be too short.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
if you have a a4ld and m5od they are the same length and mounts are the same.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The 4.0 swap from a 2.9 is about as easy as engine swaps get... It was my first one too.

Before I'd only ever had one engine out of the vehicle. A 2.3 from an 86 Ranger.

From what I've seen the transmission mounts are probably workable with just he parts you have. Not necessarily though depending on exactly which transmission were in each vehicle.

The fact that you're using the Explorer harness makes the wiring a little more difficult, but it only affects the rear lights and maybe the fuel pump wiring. The colors will 'probably' match up on those...

Don't even worry about the motor mounts. I have one 2.9 block plate bolted to my 4.0 because somehow the original mount was twisted and one of the bosses broken of the block... It set right down of the factory 2.9 mounts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals