• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

broken manifold to downpipe stud help

welderman85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_welder:hi all. Im in the process of getting my 95 4.0 back on the road. The driver side doughnut gasket was junk,but every time I looked at the studs I got scared because I knew what was going to happen. there were really crusty. so I soaked them with pb blaster for a week or so the heated it good with the torch and just as I thought it took all of 2 seconds to twist them off. so now what. I know I have to pull the manifold but wahts the best way to go about this. . thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the studs broke then you may have issues with manifold bolts as well.............

Are the studs broken off flush?

If not, then if you can heat the studs without damaging wires, hoses, ect...., you can put candle against the hot studs and the wax will be pulled in to the threads, then hit stud a few times with a hammer via steel bar, then try to remove them.

An Exhaust shop will usually get it all done for under $60, have them do both sides.
They do this all day every day so they have the right tools and know the quickest way.
I am a proud DIYer but there is no glory in exhaust system rusted out bolts, lol, IMO of course.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you can get a straight run at them without removing, drill them out and helicoil.

sent while sitting on the throne

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, if you can drill then do so, the vibration of drilling will often get the stud to spin and unscrew out the back of the flange.

welderman85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok thank you I will give drlling it out a shot. I was try to get a few of the manifold bolts loose and nothing would budge and I didn't want to break one of those off.

welderman85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i now wish i would have just taken it to an exhaust shop

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have exhaust shops open on a sunday......heathen. :icon_twisted:

It really does suck. I was able to drill out broken studs on my 97 f150 but I had to weld two long bits together to reach.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i now wish i would have just taken it to an exhaust shop
You can use small C-clamps to hold exhaust in place so you can drive it.

I bought a truck once that had a c-clamp in place of a stud/nut, from its patina it had been there a long time, I didn't notice it for a few months, never leaked just saw it when doing other work.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are stud remover sockets you can buy. With those and heat/penetrant, you might get them out with minimum fuss.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just drill a hole and pop a nut/bolt though it. Then if it fights you next time you just cut the bolt.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
With a bit of work it is possible although aggravating to remove the inner fender from any gen ranger.

Once the inner fender and other impediments are removed you can easily drill the broken 8mm bolts out of the manifold flanges of the heads.

My typical experience is that about half of them break, but if you have the manifold off drill out and heli-coil all six of them.

The factory threads are metric, 8mmX1.25 to be exact, however with this size some lengths of bolt are difficult to obtain... So what I typically do is drill them and heli-coil the holes to accept 5/16NC (5/16-18) threads because excellent quality bolts are available in this thread size in virtually any length you can think up...

This makes life far easier in the future,

As for the manifold flange where the Y-pipe attaches the factory threads are 12mmX1.75 thread, and bolts with reduced size heads, so it is possible to get a wrench on them are not generally available (Bell-housing bolts from a 3.0Vulcan engine Taurus seem to work well...)

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
3 things. Vise grips, candle wax and heat. Ive successfully pulled several broken studs out of manifolds doing this. You have to get the manifold to just start glowing, put wax on, then repeat once. Then work on getting vise grips tight, slowly work on getting them broke free. Here's a video i found on this process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRUXRv2HFs

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just drill a hole and pop a nut/bolt though it. Then if it fights you next time you just cut the bolt.
^^^^+++!!!

Drill and bolt, don't mess with the manifold to head bolts or you will be pulling the heads next!!

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
my '93 has the flanges completly rusted off of the Y pipe, i used stainless hose clamps on the left side to hold the Ypipe to the manifold and on the right side i have a muffler clamp on the manifold and the Ypipe with a length of 1/4 all-thread connecting them (drilled a 1/4 hole in the side of the stamped steel part of the muffler clamps) has held now for a good 3 years, got hose clamps also between the converter and pipe going to the muffler. "rigged", yeah, but effective!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals