• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 Loyale Engine Trouble.

DankTank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...
So, I just bought a Subaru Loyale wagon off craigslist. The ad said that the car would no longer idle (i.e. stalls without a helping of throttle). I immediately found the issue when i went to look at the car. The guy who owned it had given it to his son after the kid totaled his last car. Since the car has some oil leaks, the kid had to top off the oil himself. Problem is, this kid literally topped it off! When I checked the dipstick, the oil reached past halfway when the fill mark was only about an inch from the bottom.

TL;DR some dumbass way overfilled the oil and the resulting pressure broke something...

Now, what broke is the question I'm asking. I changed the oil and started it again, prompting a large, white cumulonimbus to exit the exhaust. So the coolant is obviously playing 'sleepover' with the pistons.

The car was $300. Even if it turned out to be junk, I couldn't really lose too much on this deal, and these Loyales are very hard to find. So, I bought it.

My hope is that it's just the head gasket. But I'd like to know if there were a way to tell if it is just the gasket, or something more...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is this a boxer engine? If it is I would think about just getting a whole engine for it.

DankTank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It's a little 1.8L flat-four. The actual designation is EA82.

I did think about just completely replacing it. The fact that it will not idle at all has me worried. Getting another engine would be more expensive, of course. But, I wouldn't have to worry much about anything else that might be broken.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You might be surprised about the overall cost. Scoobie engines aren't that expensive. We had an Outback wagon in my last shop a few years ago, blown head gaskets, oil pouring out of the valve covers, a real mess. Also north of 200K miles.

When we priced the job out it was actually less money to put a reman long block in it than to fix the issues with the existing engine, because it had to come out of the car to do all that stuff already.

DankTank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That's awesome! I didn't know those engines were so cheap. They're so small too...

I have to do some prep before I pull the engine out. I also need to fix a fuel leak in my Ranger before I do anything. I'm planning to take the Subie engine to a shop I know down the road where they have the tools to thoroughly test it.

Also, I drove it... I'm currently berating myself because it was dragging along it's own personal cloud the whole time. It was only around the culdesac. And I guess something happened because it idles now...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals