• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 f150 misfire

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
97 f150 4.6, misfire randomly starts and shakes the truck pretty bad, my scanner says cylinder 4 and 7, so I started with what everyone would. Plugs and wires, no change, replaced coil packs, no change, replaced maf, no change, replaced the pcm, seemed to rub better for about 12 miles and started shaking again. I know on the Mustangs and Lincoln's can have the icm's go out and it will fire paired cylinders at the same time (4 and 7 are paired) the f150's don't have serviceable icm's. So I'm beginning to think.. Maybe worn wires that are touching something they shouldn't at random unpredictable intervals. I'm losing my mind here guys, get back to me!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that 4 and 7 is too much to ignore, 4 and 7 are suppose to fire at the same time, it is a Waste spark system.

I would get an old time timing light and hook it to the 4 or 7 spark plug wire to see if your suspicions are correct, should see a steady spark pulse from timing light while engine is running, if not then that coil is not getting proper ground cut and connect signal from the ICM in the PCM.

It could be that Ground wire is chafed and grounding out so coil doesn't fire.

4.6l firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, split it in half and put one half below the other
1-3-7-2-
6-5-4-8

1/6, 3/5, 7/4, 2/8 are the pair cylinders, both cylinders get spark at the same time with a Waste spark system

Last edited:

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
Rond, been helping me since I got on this website! So if I get inconsistent spark it could maybe be the ground wire rubbed through.. I'll check that in the morning. Are there problem spots in the truck 4.6?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals