• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Bronco II 2.8 Canadian, rarely engages fast idle

CyberCholo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my winter daily/beater BII about 2 months ago, in that time when I go to start in the morning to warm it up, it fires up super easy but the problem is it doesn't engage the fast idle. Its randomly done it once or twice on the first attempt, and a few times It would happen on the second try after it fired up once than died. Right now it will fire up first try and run but super low idle barely going or the same thing but on the second attempt.

The only automatic choke mechanism im familiar with is the mechanical system on a Quadrajet using a thermostatic coil. My 81 Mazda 626 has an electronic choke but I havent had to fiddle with it.

Messing with it the last few days it appears the choke its self works great, no issues there. There is what appears to be the fast idle cam and arm mechanism that I can move and jiggle around and it doesnt seem to lock or engage in any spot.

I started adjusting the screw on the back passenger side of the carb on a cold start and start I figured it out when the idle went up, but that doesnt seem to be the solution as it never goes down, is this an adjusment to override the automatic idle system? Or is the fast idle not working right?

I tried holding the arm up and turning the screw in so it contacted what I think is the cam and locked it in place, but still it wouldnt come off fast idle when warmed up and id hit the throttle.

Right now I have that screw backed all the way off and the truck idles totally fine apart from not engaging fast idle on cold start.

The arm has a bolt in the very top that appears to be some sort of adjustment but im not sure for what, I havent messed with it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be the issue? Is fast idle controlled by the automatic idle system or is it mechanical like on most other carbs?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Been a long while since I messed with carbs, lol.

You should have Motorcraft 2150A in a 1985, 1984 and up had them until Fuel injection took over
A = electronic feedback, or computer assisted/monitored

Many swapped these out for 2150 to get rid of the added "stuff"

There will be a Fast Idle Cam and fast idle screw on the carb
It may be on the choke side or throttle linkage side.
What it does is to hold open the throttle plate to set a higher idle, so it has to be on the throttle plate rod so one side or the other.
The Fast Idle Cam is controlled by the choke system
Choke operates the choke plate and there will also be a rod that operates the fast idle cam, i.e. if choke plate moves so does fast idle cam.
So look for a rod that moves when choke plate moves, follow it to fast idle cam
You will then see the fast idle screw that rides on that cam and is also connected to throttle plate rod.

To set choke you have to press down gas pedal one time, cold carb will set choke plate closed which moves the fast idle cam, which holds open throttle plate a bit more using fast idle screw.
As choke warms up each time your foot is on the gas pedal/throttle plate not resting against fast or regular idle screws, it allows the choke plate to start opening which moves the fast idle cam causes less of a fast idle next time you stop.
When choke/engine is fully warmed up, fast idle screw no longer touches fast idle cam and idle screw is what sets warm engine idle

Drawings for 2100 and 2150 carbs here: https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/AMC-Coupes-Sedans-Wagons-1975-1988-Repair-Information/Fuel-System/Autolite-Motorcraft-2100-and-2150-Carburetors/_/P-0900c1528008557e

Last edited:

CyberCholo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
I screwed with it a bit yesterday and think I figured out most of how it works, the top bolt sets how much fast idle you get relative to the choke position, and the screw on the cam actually sets the fast idle speed.

The problem im having is i cant seem to get the fast idle to dis engage once I turn the screw in enough to do something. Ill wait and rev the car but it doesnt go down to proper idle untiil I back the screw right off.

Where on the cam is it supposed to sit when its at full fast idle, is it on the very top of the cam on the part that sticks out, or is it supposed to be below that actually in the little notch there

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A service manual would be your friend.

After the engine starts, does the plunger for the choke pull-off retract? It should open the choke plate slightly and disengage from the high idle cam once the throttle is depressed.

CyberCholo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
A service manual would be your friend.

After the engine starts, does the plunger for the choke pull-off retract? It should open the choke plate slightly and disengage from the high idle cam once the throttle is depressed.
Is that the vacuum operated doodad at the back pas side of the carb? Ive noticed it doesn't seem to do much. I havent watched it closely during startup though. I took the hose off and covered it with my thumb and pushed it in and it comes back out slowly but it wont hold, does that mean an issue with the diaphagm? I revved the throttle while watching it but I dont think it did a whole lot if I remember right, maybe moved a little. It also sucks because the vehicle doesnt really get cold enough to go on full choke unless it sits overnight and moving the fast idle linkage by hand doesnt seem to effect the idle very much. also I dont think I totally understand how the screw and the cam are supposed ot interact, how hard are they suppose to contact each other?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals