• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock radio with aux?

gubni

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I prefer a stock radio. I have a 98 with cassette only. Is there a way to swap a newer radio that would have aux connector? If so from what?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford never used a head unit with a 3.5mm aux jack in the head unit. They were always remote-mounted.

There was a write-up I saw somewhere, may have been here, about adding one to a Ford radio with a cassette deck. It required opening up the radio and soldering the wires for the jack to the cassette input circuits. It required having a tape adapter in so the radio would take the input, but it did work.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I just added a Bluetooth receiver to my 1992 factory radio.

What you'll want to do is open the radio and find out which pre-amp chip you have, and then tap into either the AM ot Tape inputs. This way you just override the signal and can still use the bass/treble/fade settings.

Here's mine, though it's a '92 and the pre-amp chip is likely different than yours.

Finally got around to adding an aux input to my factory radio. I tried the Bluetooth board I bought, but kept having ground noise issues, so I just used an aux cable instead.

I soldered the left and right wires of the aux cable to the L and R #2 inputs(AM Radio) on the preamp chip and ground to ground. This way I still get to use the chips equalizer and balance settings. I desoldered the AM tuner connections so that I won't get any buzzing. So now if I want AUX, I set the radio to AM. FM Radio still works great.

Here's some pics and the data sheet of the chip in my radio. Note - The left and right are shown here as being soldered to the #3 inputs. I switched these later to the #2 inputs, overriding the AM signal.
My phone puts out too much voltage, so I'll have to add a 100k trimmer pot so I can tone it down, but my battery powered 3.5mm Bluetooth receiver works great.

1992 factory radio with added Bluetooth round 2.

I added a step down voltage converter and an isolated 12-5v converter.

This got rid of the ground loop noise. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Skirbykat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just use a cassette adapter? Are they just a thing of the past?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jimmyfloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just added a Bluetooth receiver to my 1992 factory radio.

What you'll want to do is open the radio and find out which pre-amp chip you have, and then tap into either the AM ot Tape inputs. This way you jut override the signal and can still use the bass/treble/fade settings.

Here's mine, though it's a '92 and the pre-amp chip is likely different than yours.

Do you have a writeup on this? I kinda want to do this to my other car, and have not seen the extra receivers before.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Why not just use a cassette adapter? Are they just a thing of the past?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
They, um, what's the word.....

Suck.

Even when they were main stream I had a lot of reliability issues with them. Where I work now they are still the single most audio accessory that gets brought back as defective. Sound fidelity wasn't great either.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you have a writeup on this? I kinda want to do this to my other car, and have not seen the extra receivers before.
I don't have a write-up on it. Every application will be different so it would be hard to make a catch all write-up.

Basically, you want to tap into the pre-amp chips' inputs and add your audio source there. I used a simple bluetooth receiver that is powered by 5 volts DC and outputs a Left, Right and Ground. I soldered these to the AM pre-amp pins so that when I put the radio on AM, the signal coming from my bluetooth receiver is sent through the pre-amp, amp and then speakers.

The first thing you'd need to do is find out which pre-amp chip your radio has and then find the data sheet for it. This will tell you which pins to use, and the input voltage.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is fascinating, very tempted to find a period premium radio for my Ranger now...

I had a cassette adapter back in the day, worked fine aside from the squeaking in between songs. I had the fancy "car ready" or something like that discman which came with a remote control too.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This is fascinating, very tempted to find a period premium radio for my Ranger now...

I had a cassette adapter back in the day, worked fine aside from the squeaking in between songs. I had the fancy "car ready" or something like that discman which came with a remote control too.
I believe the part number for the '85 trucks is 19A241. I haven't opened one of these, and so I am not sure if they have a pre-amp chip like the newer ones have. They are likely not digital at all.

The later trucks(86/88 and later?) used 19B131 and 19B132, which do have the pre-amp chip.

Here's one:

Ebay Link

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe the part number for the '85 trucks is 19A241. I haven't opened one of these, and so I am not sure if they have a pre-amp chip like the newer ones have. They are likely not digital at all.

The later trucks(86/88 and later?) used 19B131 and 19B132, which do have the pre-amp chip.

Here's one:

Ebay Link

That is just like the one I pulled out of mine in 2001 aside from I think the knobs were different and mine wasn't a premium originally (so no fade with only the two dash speakers) I was thinking of the later ones with the equalizer for this adventure.

I like my Sirius and USB though...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals