• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dumb exhaust question

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Got a catalytic converter plugging on me on my F150. So my dumb question is, how many does a 1990 5.0l non California F150 have?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I am deleting my smog pump as it has failed and just using a mustang pump delete kit. The cat is just starting to plug up. If it just has the one I can see then I am just going to replace it with a pipe as I don't inspect. If it has a front one that doubles as the Y pipe then I need a replacement Y pipe.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just the one. I don't think they started the Y-pipe thing until the 97s for the F150.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Just the one. I don't think they started the Y-pipe thing until the 97s for the F150.
This makes things easier since the whole exhaust from the cat back is rotted out. Just going to replace it with a flowmaster super 40 and a down pipe until I can afford my stainless dual exhaust

Now I need to look for a 4x4 engine cross member. I have all my other parts needed for a 4wd swap

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've deleted chewys comments. Removal of catalytic converters is a federal offense. And TRS does not condone these discussions.

You have been warned

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Show me!

I've deleted chewys comments. Removal of catalytic converters is a federal offense. And TRS does not condone these discussions.

You have been warned
What, EXACTLY, is the federal statute you are referencing? This is an EPA REGULATION, mandated to the STATES as a regulation. That is why my state, Montana, ignores the EPA regs. Removing your cat isn't going to result in the FED smog marshalls launching Blackhawk air assaults to your garage. The state may have issues with your mods, but the FEDS aint. Just sayin.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Now I need to look for a 4x4 engine cross member. I have all my other parts needed for a 4wd swap
I don't think you need to change the cross member on an F-150 for a 4x4 swap. I am pretty sure those are plug and play.

I haven't ever looked into it too close myself, but that is what I was told by a guy who has done it more than once.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a copy and paste from the exhaust forum

Removing the catalytic converter(s) is illegal. Regardless of the emissions laws in your particular state, it is against Federal law. The Ranger Station does not endorse or recommend removing the catalytic converter. Threads or posts advising removal of the catalytic converter may be locked or removed.

1. It is against the law.
2. The engine computer is set up to run with the cat, so if you remove it you may get a CEL, code, whatever, and that can mess up other things that the computer controls.
3. The only way it may be even remotely legal to remove it would be on an off-road-only vehicle that is never driven on public roads.
4. If you want it loud, it is perfectly okay to remove the muffler and resonator (if so equipped) and run a straight pipe behind the catalytic converter.
5. There are legal high-flow cats available.
6. Frankly, modern catalytic converters aren't very restrictive anyway due to gas mileage concerns.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't think you need to change the cross member on an F-150 for a 4x4 swap. I am pretty sure those are plug and play.

I haven't ever looked into it too close myself, but that is what I was told by a guy who has done it more than once.
I will take a pic tomorrow after work. It looks different than the ones in the 4x4

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What, EXACTLY, is the federal statute you are referencing? This is an EPA REGULATION, mandated to the STATES as a regulation. That is why my state, Montana, ignores the EPA regs. Removing your cat isn't going to result in the FED smog marshalls launching Blackhawk air assaults to your garage. The state may have issues with your mods, but the FEDS aint. Just sayin.
Some states are more anal about emissions equipment than others. For example, Texas (where I am) states;

"State law also prohibits any person from removing or disconnecting any part of the emission control system of a motor vehicle, except to install replacement parts which are equally effective in reducing emissions. Violators are subject to penalties under the TCAA of up to $25,000 per violation."
You know we live in an age where some idiot will read about removing their emissions equipment on here, do it, and then claim that TRS told them it was OK if they get caught. So when the Moderator sees comments about it (I didn't see the comments), they post up a warning that it's illegal. Because it is.

You just have to know what you can do in the state you're in. I would do things in Ohio that I would never do here in Texas.

I could give a rats ass if you guys post detailed photos on the subject, as long as people realize it's illegal, and they could find themselves paying a big fine if they get caught actually doing it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo

This is what is currently under my truck. It appears to be a magnaflow California legal highflow cat system....... but I am not sure

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Fawk Cali legal.

I have half a mind to sue those idiots over the fact that I live 3000 miles away and still have problems buying certain things because they are illegal in California.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
What suck is this is not a cali truck. It was sold new at Fugate Ford in Enumclaw WA and own d by the city until 2007. The guy I bought from said he had exhaust work done 10 years ago. Looks like the shop he took it too sold him on something he didn't need

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Any pros or cons over using these

Over using tri-ys? Other than the obvious that these are a direct bolt in fit and the tri-ys would have to be modified.

Although I don't see provisions for Egr on these

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Any pros or cons over using these

Over using tri-ys? Other than the obvious that these are a direct bolt in fit and the tri-ys would have to be modified.

Although I don't see provisions for Egr on these
If there's no provision for accepting your factory egr/emission system, you should definitely not use them ever... From what I understand... Glad to hear you're on the upper end of an incredibly difficult up hill battle. Keep truckin'.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals