• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What parts do I need for a cat back exhaust?

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm rusted out from the cat back, and need to replace the exhaust. '97 supercab 4.0. I'm having a hard time finding a good diagram or complete parts list for what I need. I'm going to be doing this in a remote area, so it's going to be a PITA if I realize I'm missing some stupid $2 part. Here's what I think I need:

1. Intermediate pipe
2. muffler
3. tail pipe
4. Spring bolts? looks like this connects the cat to the intermediate pipe
5. Gasket between the cat and intermediate pipe. This one?
This one?
Other?
6. U-bolt clamps x 2
7. Rubber hangers. I think I need 1 for the muffler, 1 for the tailpipe. Any specific size?

Anything else I'm missing?

JTDroze

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you given any thought to buying a pre-made catback system? Summit Racing has some good prices on some.

I just installed a catback system and your list of items looks complete, other than some PB Blaster to help loosen the rusted nuts.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, complete cat back kits are probably less expensive than buying everything separately. That is unless you are buying cheap components. They usually don't come with rubber hangers, spring bolts and gasket but those are typically OEM parts anyway unless you can find something close.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just installed a catback system and your list of items looks complete, other than some PB Blaster to help loosen the rusted nuts.
I think you spelled "torch" wrong.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can get the complete kit from Rockauto for $115 delivered. You need a grinder and goggles. It should take less than one hour. It's One of the easiest repairs to do on these Rangers. I think the last one I did I had the old Exhaust off in 10 minutes. Popped the new one on in 20 minutes. Poc

I didn't even bother with PB blaster. Sometimes the flange bolts just snap off and if not grind them off.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, complete cat back kits are probably less expensive than buying everything separately. That is unless you are buying cheap components. They usually don't come with rubber hangers, spring bolts and gasket but those are typically OEM parts anyway unless you can find something close.
The kits come with hangers, clamps, spring bolts etc. Everything you need to slap it on. Hardest part can be getting the old one off but get a grinder with a metal wheel on it and it will be easy.

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
You can get the complete kit from Rockauto for $115 delivered. You need a grinder and goggles. It should take less than one hour. It's One of the easiest repairs to do on these Rangers. I think the last one I did I had the old Exhaust off in 10 minutes. Popped the new one on in 20 minutes. Poc

Man, 20 minutes! You must have gotten really lucky, or don't live where they salt the roads. It took me about an hour of trying to undo the rusty flange bolts on the manifold pipe before I gave up and brought out the saws-all and just cut the bolts. Then I had to grind down and drill out the bolts so I could bolt the new cat on.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, 20 minutes! You must have gotten really lucky, or don't live where they salt the roads. It took me about an hour of trying to undo the rusty flange bolts on the manifold pipe before I gave up and brought out the saws-all and just cut the bolts. Then I had to grind down and drill out the bolts so I could bolt the new cat on.
I live in Massachusetts. Rust everywhere. I've done 4 catbacks on Rangers. I use a sawzall and a grinder. Once I'm all set up with tools etc. I'd put my goggles on and have the old system off in 10 minutes. None of the 4 Rangers I've done had threaded flanges. They just had a hole in them. They all used a Bolt, a spring and the wedge type nut. I would just cut them, grind them or if they didn't snap when I put a wrench on them.

Sometimes I use the sawzall to cut the system in a few pieces. It's easier to remove then. You can try a dremmel tool on the bolts if you have one.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals