• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some help with getting a new exhaust system

TheWillz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 4 Cylinder
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The best time to start learning is 10 years ago, the next best time is today.
I have a 99 ford ranger 5 speed. It's a 2.5L 4 Cylinder pickup. The guys I bought it from sliced off the exhaust directly under the cab, and put a muffler on it. The resonance inside the cab is terrible, I can't hear myself talk unless I scream. I am looking for something to A) carry the sound down out the back like it should, and B) make it a quieter growl instead of a loud scream. Do y'all have any suggestions or ideas?

I also have a pretty low budget, so anything cheap that at least does one of those things for me will work :)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Don't know how low your budget is. You can get some pretty cheap exhaust components on eBay. Rock Auto should be pretty reasonable, also. Unless you order a whole system, or a Cat-back system (if your cat's are still there) you will just have to get under the truck with a tape measure and figure out what you need. Your cheapest solution would probably be to get some exhaust pipe, couplers, hangers and clamps and piece it together to move your present muffler to the rear and extend the tip out from under the truck. You can buy a piece already bent to fit over the axle if you go that far. It doesn't cost much.

I have read on this forum that if your truck originally had catalytic converters, then legally, they need to be there. I don't know the law personally.

As far as noise in the cab goes, it may be helpful to add a resonator to cancel out the irritating frequencies. You can research it for weeks and find many different theories, ideas and solutions. I know I did. Nobody can tell you what is perfect for your truck. But the exhaust Ford put under there was adequate with comfortable noise levels. of course, every piece you add increases the cost. Search this forum and you will get an idea of what others have installed for the same or similar truck/ engine combination as what you have. I would not recommend turning the tip down towards the ground under the truck. In my mind, that "traps' sound under there that will bounce back and forth between the ground and the truck and irritate you.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Federal Law is max. $2,500 fine for no Cat converter if it had one from factory, that applies in any State.
State Laws very

Exhaust shops can't work on a vehicle, legally, if it doesn't have Cats(and should have), their down side is max. $25,000 fine if caught, again that's Federal so applies in all States

As for the problem, use same diameter pipe, no smaller, and buy the bends and pieces you need and clamp them together.
Larger diameter pipe is OK to use and will give you a lower tone at the exhaust.

Think of a Pipe Organ, same air goes into each pipe but.....larger pipe lower note, smaller pipe higher note

RangerRich96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you doing your own work and have you worked on exhausts before? I replaced the entire exhaust system on my '96 2.3 with Walker components off rock auto. Everything fit perfectly. I used their economy Sound FX muffler which has a slightly more aggressive tone in idle and cruising around in low gear but still quiet on the hwy. I think all in for the catback exhaust it ran me 100 bucks, installed myself.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Did you ever figure this out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals