• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd Rubbing Noise after using 4WD

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, this is my first post on here. I recently got a 96 v6 4.0 4wd ranger. I took it out into the mud today, it did fantastically. But after I turned off 4WD(and reversed to unlock the hubs) this sound started happening. First, it sounded as if my tire was rubbing on the car. I stopped, got out and looked, and nothing was there. And the sound continued. Then I was driving, and it made some loud clunking noise and the sound stopped. It starts and stops again and I am not sure of the cause. AFter it sat for maybe 45 minutes, i drove it in 2wd and it didnt make the noise anymore. Do you guys have any ideas?

dirtpit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your hubs may not have fully unlocked...I get a clicking noise when mine does that...I just engage 4wd again and then turn it off and do the back up thing over

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Automatic hubs have a locking mechanism that needs to be lubed but not sticky.

Overtime the lube gets thicker and sticky so you need to clean them out.
The locking of the hubs has the engine power but the unlock is just a slide so can stick a bit.

It is very easy to clean these if you can jack up a front tire and remove it.
Good info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/HubDiagnosis.shtml

You don't need to remove the wheel bearings, just clean out the old grease/lube and relube it, using very little, too much is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I took my truck into a mechanic(no not the the dealer), and they told me the CV joint connecting the front drivetrain to the transfer case is crushed. He told me it would be about a $400-500 fix. Have you guys heard anything about this before?

EDIT: also, do you think i can still drive it?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can drive in 2WD, front drive line won't be turning

I thought Ranger used a double u-joint(Double Cardan) on the transfer case end of front driveline??

Explorers did switch the CV joints at that end, good pictures of work involved here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406880

It would be similar if you do have the CV joint on your '96

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you can drive in 2WD, front drive line won't be turning

I thought Ranger used a double u-joint(Double Cardan) on the transfer case end of front driveline??

Explorers did switch the CV joints at that end, good pictures of work involved here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406880

It would be similar if you do have the CV joint on your '96
He said its two U-joints but then something in the middle. He told me it was a constant velocity. Idk, i dont knwo much about it.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The double cardan joints have a ball between the u/joints that devides the deflection angle between joints. If it gets worn or the needle bearings fall out the joint will wobble about, but that usually results in a rattling noise. There is a repair kit available, but it depends on how badly the joint is worn on whether it will work or not.

Fane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So, I went to a new mechanic and he said the auto locking hubs are shot and need to be replaced. Which is what you guys and I thought originally. It makes more sense. Should I go with automatic or manual locking hubs for replacement? Im thinking manual to avoid problems like this in the future.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely.manual

hipoman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
manual?

Going to a manual hub is not an option. I bought this 96 ranger for my fiancee so staying with auto hubs better. I boughtthis from the orinal owner who never took it off road & hasn't use the drive often . When i first test drove it had no problem when i went back to 2wd but the otherday i wasin 4wd to take my mom somewhere in light snow. Got home & switched to 2wd & backed up. The nextmorning before work i went to eat & then to work. No problem. Got off work & was almost home and whine that varied with speed started maybe right hub area. Went back to 4wd in the neighborhood & back out then backed up like i should. Better. Yesterday heard one spot of noise light clunk.today left the house & that sound around right hub made the same noise. I backed up and it went away. I did notice some noise if i turned sharper any insight?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals