• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sick of my mileage

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
For those that any know, 1999 3.0l auto (can't remember gears) 215x70 tires, just rolled over to 61k miles, fleet model, 4x4

Adsm08 helped me change out all the fluids and do a basic tuneup at his dealership a while back, here I am at 3100 miles on the oil and it looks new on the stick. New plugs, wires, and a few other nicks and nacks and I'm still pushing 13-15mpg highway. I don't have a lead foot and I coast a lot (my truck will coast from 65-50mph on its own on level terrain in about 10 seconds, sometimes even faster, I can't really coast) and I do 55-65 on the highway (no cruise control).

I drive 60 miles round trip to work a day and can't keep tossing $40 a week in gas JUST to get to work. At this point my f150 is getting better mileage =p

Any ideas on better mileage? I see people with 01-05 getting 17-21 with 4wd 3.0 extended cabs.... am I missing something?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '94 4.0l, manual, 4x4, extra-cab with canopy and 500lbs of tools gets 15mpg, around town, no highway.

First thing to check is speedometer/odometer, got any mile markers around or a friend with GPS.
If speedo is off even a little, Odometer will be off and that's a few MPG there.

What do the spark plugs look like?
Are they a little dark, instead of a very light brown?
So engine is running a bit rich, that would most likely be O2 sensors due for a change.

If you don't have one a Vacuum gauge is a good tool to have in the box, $25.
You could have a collapsing muffler or cat, this restricts exhaust flow and lowers power along with MPG.
Good here here on tests: http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good advise from Ron. I'll just add that you should check your tire pressures, and make sure you don't have a brake dragging. A bad alignment could reduce mpg too.

You can look into aero mods if you do a lot of highway driving. They're typically cheaper than mechanical changes, and often have a larger effect. Rangers have terrible aerodynamics, which play a larger role in fuel economy the faster you go. To start, remove any unnecessary weight, or things that disrupt the airflow around your truck (grille guards, parts hanging off, etc). Replace/repair any damaged or missing body parts, especially on the front of the truck. Tighten up body gaps as much as possible. Just try and keep the air from going places it shouldn't be. You want it to move around the truck without being disturbed.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The old plugs looked good to me, aside from being worn out.

IIRC that truck has 4.10 gears though, which isn't helping much. Problem is regearing a 4x4 is expensive, more so than you will ever recover in fuel savings.

$40 is gas isn't really that much though. I put $50 or more in the wife's car every week.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Look into an underdrive crank pulley and electric fan. If it's flex fuel, run some E-85 through it to clean the fuel system and combustion chambers. Do a partial grill block (block the outer holes in the grill--leave the center two open) and shave down the mudflaps or delete them. If you don't need a lot of ground clearance, look into lowering it a bit. Install 08' torsion keys and rear leaf blocks.

My 99' with a 3.0 and 5spd averages 20-23mpg no matter what I do or where I go--city or hwy. Last tank was 21mpg despite hauling my quad and gear around for a couple days. Good mileage is possible.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I'm hyper miling and have over 100 miles and not at a 3/4 tank yet. Let's see how this goes....

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Where can I get e85 in northern pa? How well do those performance computers work? Amazon has them on sale for $55

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Do a search for E85 fuel stations in your area. Double check the 8th digit of the vin, make sure it's a V before adding corn.

IMO, stay away from the $55 computer. If you want a good tune/reflash you'll have to spend $400 or more on a SCT tuner.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Its a $120 computer on sale for $55

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a link to this "computer"? We can't know for sure without a link, but it sounds like junk from what you've written.

The only tuners that are worth anything will have custom tunes (files) written just for your application. So, if you don't have to answer very specific questions about the year, make, model, engine/drivetrain, modifications you've made, transmission, what your goals are, etc then it's a waste of money. Typically good ones like SCT or Diablosport are $400-$500, and would take a very long time to pay for themselves in fuel savings.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Probably not going to get one anyways, I am at 5/8-11/16 tank and nearly 140 miles on the trip so far. Going good. My highest was 235 miles on a tank

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
190 miles almost half tank

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
210 miles, now half tank

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Are you still sick of your mileage?

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I refuse to answer that till I've run out of gas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals