• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squeak/Squeals with rotational noise

Penguin3388

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all. A friend of mine turned me to this forum when I asked him about some noises my truck was making so here goes. I have a 2001 Edge with manual trans. When I take off from cold start everything is fine. After a few blocks ,when it starts to warm up, I notice a squeaky noise taking off from stop signs when I press on the throttle. After a few miles, it will make the noise through 3rd gear or up to about 35 mph then quit. The noise is present only when the throttle is pressed and the clutch is engaged through 3rd, sometimes 4th for a brief moment. If I disengage the clutch and press the throttle, there is no noise. My instinct has me leaning toward clutch or throw out bearing but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to just start throwing parts at it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the noise increases with speed but goes away if I let off the throttle.

Last edited:

akshep90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To me it might sound like the clutch/ throwout bearing. Does the clutch feel like its slipping at all?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If noise only occurs with clutch pedal pushed in, even a little, then yes it will be a problem in the clutch system.
throwout bearing/slave is most likely cause

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Little confused. Does it do it with the clutch pedal up or down? If when down as above.

If when the pedal is all the way up I wouldn't think it is anything inside the bell housing. If it only does it when the truck is moving I would think it may be behind the trans, like maybe u-joints. If the noise was coming from inside the bell housing I would think it would do it in neutral as well as on the road since there is nothing in there that knows if the truck is moving or sitting still.

Penguin3388

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. The noise occurs only when the clutch pedal is up. I still had the noise through yesterday morning, then after my 20 minute interstate drive it went away and has not yet came back. Still curious though what it might be.

Edit: I could clarify even more saying the noise only occurred with the clutch pedal up and me pressing on the throttle. Releasing the throttle or pressing the clutch stopped the noise, no noise occured at idle. And also, my drive home from work today was noise free so I have no idea what it could be.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals