• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10w40 drawbacks

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm unsure, but I feel I may have lifter noise. For a second or two after it sits for a day or so. As well as when getting close to WOT. I've been using 5w30 Motorcraft semi blend for 3.5 years and FL1 filter. I'm thinking of converting to either 10w30 full synthetic Valvoline or 10w40 full synthetic Royal Purple. WIX 51515 full synthetic filter. Is 10w40 a risk? Any other thoughts? Questions?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You don't give any detail about motor, mileage, and use.

All I can give is opinion.

A little knocking on startup is normal.
10 weight is thicker than 5 weight and will take longer to get thru the system to quiet down noise. That said I worked for a pipeline company that would specify synthetic diesel [high zinc content] 10w-40 in their NEW trucks, gas or diesel, and regardless of manufacturers recommendation [usually 5w-20]. I wasn't privy to their thought process but I have to believe the mechanics knew what they were doing. But keep in mind that they were much more concerned with reliability than longevity. I think for your 1994 engine that synthetic oil of either choice would be good.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In your application 10-30 has no advantages over 5-30. 10-40 might help some if the issue were constant, and not mostly on startup. Since the opposite is true here I would say try some Lucas first.

The other thing to keep in mind is that valve train noise in a 4.0 is very common to the point of being normal, but it is rarely if ever fatal.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I switched to 10w-40. Seems to be doing good at 248k miles. Only had the truck 16 months, don't know what all ran before, but I'm satisfied with the 10w-40

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
10w40 Royal Purple isn't too thick then? I figured a thicker oil would be a safe bet on a 200,000 mile engine.

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought diesel oil would screw with oxygen sensors...?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
10w40 Royal Purple isn't too thick then? I figured a thicker oil would be a safe bet on a 200,000 mile engine.
Personally I use the cheapest oil that works. You still haven't specifically said what year, engine, mileage, and use of your truck. What does the book call for? The reason that newer vehicles use 5w/20 is for emissions and power. The engines are built with tighter clearances and there is less friction with the thinner oil. I'm not too sure when that started so why you should check the book for specs.

I thought diesel oil would screw with oxygen sensors...?
How does the oil get into the exhaust system to screw with the o2 sensors? If your rings are that bad it's time for a new motor. The diesel oils have a higher zinc content which helps with metal touching metal; rockers, valves, etc., like the tick in your engine. Can be good for high mileage or high stressed engines, also old engines like the 50's and 60's and 70's.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oil pressure is from back pressure.

The bearings, lifters and oil passages can only pass X amount of oil, the oil pump provides XXX amount of oil.

So all the oil can not be used and backs up in the oil passages where the oil pressure switch/sender is located, and that's the oil pressure in/of the engine.
When RPMs go up the oil pump pumps more oil but the oil passages flow doesn't increase that much so oil pressure goes up at higher RPMs and then down at lower RPMs

As an engine gets more miles the bearing gaps get larger so more oil can be passed thru, and back pressure drops down.
A thicker oil slows down the passing of the oil so oil pressure comes back up.

When engine is off the oil drains out of bearings and some passages, oil filters have a backflow preventer valve so main passages hold some oil.
But gravity is gravity so oil does drain out of some areas.
If your engine starts up quickly then you will often hear ticks from lack of oil pressure.
Oil treatments like Lucas aid in coating surfaces, doesn't drain off as fast, so it will often stop the start up ticks.

With my older high mile 4.0l I delay start up if it has been sitting more than 8 hours.
I press gas pedal to the floor and hold it down, this turns off fuel injectors
Then I crank engine for a few seconds to pump in some oil
Then I release gas pedal and start the engine

I run 10w40, have for a few years now

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Personally I use the cheapest oil that works. You still haven't specifically said what year, engine, mileage, and use of your truck. What does the book call for? The reason that newer vehicles use 5w/20 is for emissions and power. The engines are built with tighter clearances and there is less friction with the thinner oil. I'm not too sure when that started so why you should check the book for specs.

How does the oil get into the exhaust system to screw with the o2 sensors? If your rings are that bad it's time for a new motor. The diesel oils have a higher zinc content which helps with metal touching metal; rockers, valves, etc., like the tick in your engine. Can be good for high mileage or high stressed engines, also old engines like the 50's and 60's and 70's.
200,000 miles. 4.0 1994. I just use the truck to drive to work and it sees unloaded interstate driving which has it cruising around 2500 rpm. It uses about a quart of 5w30 motorcraft semi blend every 5000 - 7500 miles.

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oil pressure is from back pressure.

The bearings, lifters and oil passages can only pass X amount of oil, the oil pump provides XXX amount of oil.

So all the oil can not be used and backs up in the oil passages where the oil pressure switch/sender is located, and that's the oil pressure in/of the engine.
When RPMs go up the oil pump pumps more oil but the oil passages flow doesn't increase that much so oil pressure goes up at higher RPMs and then down at lower RPMs

As an engine gets more miles the bearing gaps get larger so more oil can be passed thru, and back pressure drops down.
A thicker oil slows down the passing of the oil so oil pressure comes back up.

When engine is off the oil drains out of bearings and some passages, oil filters have a backflow preventer valve so main passages hold some oil.
But gravity is gravity so oil does drain out of some areas.
If your engine starts up quickly then you will often hear ticks from lack of oil pressure.
Oil treatments like Lucas aid in coating surfaces, doesn't drain off as fast, so it will often stop the start up ticks.

With my older high mile 4.0l I delay start up if it has been sitting more than 8 hours.
I press gas pedal to the floor and hold it down, this turns off fuel injectors
Then I crank engine for a few seconds to pump in some oil
Then I release gas pedal and start the engine

I run 10w40, have for a few years now
Im not so concerned about the start up because the tick is so brief and doesn't happen all the time. My main concern is the noise i hear when getting close to WOT. I do drive it kind of hard on the interstate. I guess my main concern is if I ran the thicker 10w40 if i could encounter problems. Ive thought about t6 Rotella 5w40 full synthetic but i didn't know if the little oil this engine burns, if it would screw with 02 sensors.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it won't screw with O2 sensors.

Biggest problem with expensive oil in an older engine is the cost of adding a quart now and then because it leaks or burns a little :)

I am with alwaysFlOoReD on this, less expensive is the way to go on older engines

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try Vavoline Maxlife in 10-40.
I would be then I couldn't do the WIX full synthetic filter. I'm reading a lot about Rotella in gas engines and believe I'll roll the dice on T6 simply because it's found everywhere. It's SM rated and the owners manual calls for better than SG.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be then I couldn't do the WIX full synthetic filter. I'm reading a lot about Rotella in gas engines and believe I'll roll the dice on T6 simply because it's found everywhere. It's SM rated and the owners manual calls for better than SG.
Why couldn't U use the Wix synth filter? I've switched back and forth for many yrs. Anyone tells U different is a HRC voter, ie brain dead. T6 is good stuff too. Sorry got out of hand there, can't wait for this election to be over!

Last edited:

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Why couldn't U use the Wix synth filter? I've switched back and forth for many yrs. Anyone tells U different is a HRC voter, ie brain dead. T6 is good stuff too. Sorry got out of hand there, can't wait for this election to be over!
. X2 on the oil and filter and the election ,im ready for president Trump to clean up the mess . NOMORECLINTONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals