• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown motor Need help!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.8lt v6 2.5lt four bangr
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the station to get me some gas in the ranger got there fueld up got back in wouldnt start i pushed it back put water in the raditior an chucked home overheating an all.. smoke is coming out of my valve cover gakets. I dont care to break the engine down an re do the gaskets an find out i bent a valve cover.. i was wondering if anyone had a 2.8 v6 engine they wanted to get rid of must been taking care of an pretty cheap.. will a 2.9 fit in my truck an bolt to a auto trans.. I wanna do something before i get pissed an haul it to the salvage yard. I dont want that to happen because my grandfather gave it to me free of charge..

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do a 2.9 and no the tranny pattern is different! Check the reck library for tranny compatability!

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
You warp heads from overheating usually, not valve covers. Replace the gaskets if the motor runs fine and fix the cooling system.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do a 2.9 and no the tranny pattern is different! Check the reck library for tranny compatability!
Skip the 2.9 and go 4.0...

Sounds like you got it hot and scored the sleeves, you might take it easy for awhile and see if the rings seat back in... mine did on my 2.8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals