• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Napa water pumps are crap. Need an alternative.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
This is the 2nd water pump that crapped out on me in less than 2 months. I will never buy a Napa pump ever again. This is coming from someone who works there. The first pump kept leaking from the gasket surface. I used the gasket the first time, and tried 2 different RTVs after that. Finally returned it as defective and got another one. This one sealed up fine, but now after about 2 months it's leaking from the weep hole!! :pissedoff: So this will be the 5th, yes the FIFTH f***ing time I'm doing this water pump job. Needless to say, I DON'T want to do it again. So, does anyone have a recommendation on a GOOD water pump?? I stopped by the Ford dealer on my way home. They want over $337 for a pump :shok:. I paid only about $40 for the Napa one. I know the Ford one is better, but there's no way it's $300 better. How are Advanced pumps?

Here is what I found to my dismay the other day. Notice the trail of white residue crap coming directly from the weep hole:

Oh, and just throwing this out there: Napa lug nuts also suck. Here's a picture of my wheel. 4 out of 5 lug nuts are factory original (17 years old!) and 1 of them is a Napa that's been on there less than 6 months. Guess which one it is?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You have other issues, Bro. I never heard of this happening before...ever!!!
I called several friends that work for Napa and Discount Auto and Auto Zone and they never heard of this before either. There is no bulletin out on any water pumps as well. Two of my buddies think there is something else wrong. They think you messed up the install. You installed it yourself? Over tightened the bolts or did not seat it right will cause this issue.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
First of all, I torqued all the bolts down properly with a torque wrench. Second of all, what does that have to do with it leaking from the WEEP HOLE??? The gasket sealing problem went away immediately after trying a different pump. Coincedence?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a valucrap from autozone. it's been going strong for over a year now. it was $26 with a 1 year warranty. i'll get a duralast next time, i have a part time job there, so i'll get a discount on it.

oh and it actually has motorcraft stamped on it as well, still a little confused about that one

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and it actually has motorcraft stamped on it as well, still a little confused about that one
When you get a rebuilt pump the cores have to come from somewhere... they sandblast and poke new parts in a old OEM housing.

For the record, my Carquest water pump is leaking between the backing plate and the housing.

Sure glad I went ahead and changed it while I had the engine out... :black_eye:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
If yours is an '06 with a 4.0 like it says in your profile, Rockauto has a Motorcraft for $102.79. Or they have a Bosch for $73.79, and I've never had anything Bosch that I didn't like......but I've never had one of their water pumps.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Oh, and I went through SEVEN pumps from Autozone on my Mustang when they carried GMP pumps before I finally told the manager I wanted my money back. He gave me some grief until he saw how often I'd changed it. This was about 10 years ago, and I put an Edelbrock pump on it which is still doing the job nicely.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If yours is an '06 with a 4.0 like it says in your profile, Rockauto has a Motorcraft for $102.79. Or they have a Bosch for $73.79, and I've never had anything Bosch that I didn't like......but I've never had one of their water pumps.
This is for the 94 Explorer in my sig.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This is for the 94 Explorer in my sig.
OK, then it's $182.79 for the Motorcraft and $47.79 for the Bosch.

Did you just add that Explorer, or am I blind? LOL

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you try flushing out the system really well when changing pumps?

I put 3 pumps in a Blazer at work, each time it was back with the weep holes leaking. There was just so much crap floating around in the system that it was causing them to go, even though I was flushing it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
OK, then it's $182.79 for the Motorcraft and $47.79 for the Bosch.

Did you just add that Explorer, or am I blind? LOL
It's been in the sig down there \/ basically forever, but I added it
<--there just now. This isn't the first time someone thought I was talking about the 06, so I thought it was about time I added it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When you get a rebuilt pump the cores have to come from somewhere... they sandblast and poke new parts in a old OEM housing.
never thought about that, thanks for the info :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals