• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Warning Light and ABS Light on

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The brake warning light on my '94 XLT came on after I replaced the front pads (the fluid was overflowing at the master cylinder after I installed the pads. I siphoned some off and got it back below the MAX line). The two floats inside the master cylinder look normal - not sticking to the bottom and the fluid level is o.k. - about 1/4" below the MAX line. ABS light was on before I replaced the pads. It came on after I had the windshield replaced a while back. I used to get it to go off by unplugging/plugging the ABS module next to the frame rail on the driver's side. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to get the red brake warning light to go off by doing the following:

1. Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, disconnected the sensor on the master cylinder and pulled the sensor with the three metal prongs out of the side of the master cylinder.

2. Reconnected the battery, started the engine, reconnected the sensor and slid it back into the side of the master cylinder.

I also disconnected the "ABS module" on the driver's side next to the frame rail when I did the above steps. The red brake warning light went off and stayed off after I started the engine. The orange ABS light went off initially and then came back on when I started the engine later in the day and was driving around town. Back to the "drawing board"...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check that rear brake lights are working, my 1994 blew brake light fuse and ABS light would come on

Dash Brake light also comes on if E-brake pedal switch is open
Push e-brake pedal down and make sure brake light comes on and then release pedal and make sure it goes off

Last edited:

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, Thanks for your input. My rear brake lights are working o.k. The orange ABS light on the dash went off a couple of seconds after I started the engine to go to work the day after my last post and they have stayed off (except for coming on for a few seconds after I start the engine). Both lights have been off for about three days now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals