• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bang in 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I'll start off by saying I know when to use 4x and when not to. So don't bother asking if I'm using it on pavement lol.

When I have my truck in 4hi (haven't tried in 4lo) I get a loud bang every few seconds when on the throttle. Some times when it happens it feels like I lose 4wd and revert back go 2wd (light stays 4hi) then it bangs again and it's back in 4x.

Checked u joints etc even though I'm sure it's not that. Has to be the tcase I'm thinking. But I know nothing about transfer cases.

Any ideas? When I googled this I got everything from worn out shift fork, to bad u joints and cv's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Electric 4wd?

You might put it in 4wd and then pull the shift motor off to check and make sure it is fully engaging into 4wd.

Try it in 4lo too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Electric 4wd?

You might put it in 4wd and then pull the shift motor off to check and make sure it is fully engaging into 4wd.

Try it in 4lo too.
Will do that this weekend.
Good illustrations here on front suspensions for different year Rangers: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/front_suspension.shtml

Could be torsion bar bushings are getting warn, they will make a pretty good bang when they move.
How would that be the issue.... It only happens in 4x. If it was something like that it would happen no matter what drive I'm in.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How would that be the issue.... It only happens in 4x. If it was something like that it would happen no matter what drive I'm in.
I wouldn't think so, like with a leaf sprung truck the axle could move around differently fore and aft when it is under power or just coasting. With IFS you will have to have a bunch of shot parts for it move around. The torsion bars should never know or care if the front wheels are pulling or not.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I read on one place that some bolts somewhere on the diff could come slightly loose and cause it to jerk around when under load. Will check into that as well.

Just hoping its not internal to the tcase. Although, taking it apart would be a good excuse for a doubler build.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, ok so I haven't been driving then truck much but with winter coming I wanna kinda get it fixed

Took the motor off, seems to move fine, left the motor off and drove a few feet. After a few of the usually clunks, it stopped clunking.

Got out, looked, the t case had jumped back to 2hi.

Is that of any help?

Don't want to spend a fortune doing much but if it's a cheap fix, cool. If not, I'll just wait till I toss in an atlas.

maroon ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 4.0L proje
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had similar problems with mine last year...turns out the shop I had rebuild it didn't refill the fluid. They were embarrassed by what they did and extremely sorry and ended up replacing it with a brand new one at no cost! But long story short, check your fluid!!!! If the fluid isn't your problem at least replace it and check for metal shavings. That's the best advice I can give ya.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm. Will do. Should be fine as it's never been worked on, and I haven't noticed any leaks but I'll take a look. Never know.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Updating this, I removed front driveshaft and flipped to 4x to determine if it was the t.case or not, it wasn't.

So I replaced the u joint, even though it moved 100% fine, but that cured it. No idea how a seemingly fine u joint would do that, but that's what it was. very strange. I've done plenty of u joints in the last, had worse ones make no sounds or vibrations. Thats what threw me off.

Anyways, it's all good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals