• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Redneck Ranger

DRIFTGOD187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hello, i have been visiting this site for a long time but finally decided to register.

i bought this truck last year for $400.00 just to drive to work, it has a 3.0 V6 and push button 4WD. the 4WD has never worked because the previous owner removed the actuator motor from the transfer case and cut all the wires, he also lost the mounting bolts. the auto locking hubs were stripped out and it had 4 different tires on it.

the tires i put on it last year are 235/70/R15 WINTER FORCE and i payed around $350.00 for all 4 tires.

i bought a used actuator motor for $81.00 and got the bolts i nedded for free.

here is a pic of the actuator motor:

after installing the actuator motor it was time to fix the auto locking hubs, i decided to swap them with manual locking hubs. i bought the manual locking hubs and a conversion kit for $250.00.

here are the hubs i bought:

here is the auto locking hub next to the manual locking hub:

after converting the front end from auto locking hubs to manual locking hubs it was time to test it.

this snowpile is about 4 feet high, i drove up and down it a few times, and also drove through the front yard that had about a foot of snow on it with no problem.

and to give you an idea as to how small my garage is, here are some pics:

the truck is now in the garage again, but this time i have it over to one side so i can work on the exhaust.

edit: i changed my speedometer cable and speed sensor, changed my heater core and i replaced the exhaust, flushed the coolant system, changed the oil, and got the truck inspected.

i took the ranger out in the mud for the first time today, the pics arnt very good (lighting) hopefully the rain we are getting wont wash it so i can get beter pics in the sun :D

no sun today, but it looks beter with the mud dry :tu:

i basicly just drive this truck to work, but im also looking for another truck with a good body on it possably a 2001 because i like the way the front end looks, if i end up changing all the body parts exept the cab i might put a 3 inch body lift in it.

this is the front end i like, if i can find one wrecked in the rear or with a blown motor i might be able to get it cheap. the only problem with converting it would be if the radiator core support is different.

eventually i would like my truck to look something like this, different front end of course.

my antenna ball liked the way the 4WD works too :thumbsup:

the ranger bringing home my new toy :D

the ranger is in the garage again undergoing some minor surgery :D

painted the box & cab flat black:

got my parts truck tuesday, sofar nothin but good news on the parts i need for mine :tu:

while the tow dolly was there we pulled my truck out to get my lawnmower out of the bed.

i swapped rear windows, now mine has a slider.

i stripped down the front of the parts truck and part of the engine, also swapped seats.

the parts truck now has my front end on it :D

here is a pic of the engine on the parts truck. i removed one of the heads because mine has 2 cracks in it, just that head is worth the $250.00 i payed for this truck ;)

got it back together but the timing is way off, seems to run strong and has heat. no leaks yet exept the thermostat housing.

painted the valve covers ford blue just for the hell of it lol.

here is a pic of it with the front end from the parts truck, bumper needs adjusting but i think it looks good.

more pics.

in the rear pics you can see the rear windows i swapped, the third brake light on my truck also came off the parts truck. the rear bumpers will be swapped too.

i swapped rear bumpers and aligned my front bumper. i also picked up a bedliner for free.

the parts truck had a kenwood cd player in it so i installed it into my ranger:

i looked for snorkels online and i saw a "cowl snorkel" that somebody built on this site and decided to build my own. i didnt like the material the other person used, so i made mine out of PVC.

first i removed the air box off of my parts truck and sealed the filter housing with RTV:

edit: the first 2 pics show the air box i used and the position of the stock inlet.

i then took a 3" to 2" PCV reducer and connected it to the outlet on the airbox:

i then used 2 pieces of 2" PCV pipe and 2 90 degree fittings to route the piping to the inner fenderwell:

from here i cut a hole in the cowl housing and used 2 pieces of 2" PCV, a 2" coupler and a 90 degree fitting to complete the routing of the snorkels piping:

now instead of being limited to driving through mud/water up to the bumpers, i can drive through mud/water up to the cowl.

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where are you located? I'm getting a Ranger with the front end you want but will be swapping the grille/hood for an Edge/4wd grille/hood. My hood is fine but the grille surround is cracked and I'd let it go for cheap if you're anywhere near me.

DRIFTGOD187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you located? I'm getting a Ranger with the front end you want but will be swapping the grille/hood for an Edge/4wd grille/hood. My hood is fine but the grille surround is cracked and I'd let it go for cheap if you're anywhere near me.
im in NEW YORK but to be honest i dont have money to buy new parts right now, i appriciate the offer though.

i painted the pvc pipes, core support, and inside the fenders flat black. i also reinforced the snorkel with exhaust clamps and band straps.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
what part of new yourk you from

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
DRIFTGOD187,

I was looking thru your saga and found it difficult to keep track of which truck was which.:icon_cheers:, but it all looks good, and doesn't look like you'll have any problems getting thru the snow and mud.

DRIFTGOD187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i live in PAVILION.

the parts truck had this viser thing on the back window so i put it on my truck:

here are some pics of the interior, the seats are from the parts truck:

i painted the bottom of the fenders flat black to match the rocker panels:

i painted the piece from the throttle body to the mass air sensor ford blue when i painted the valve covers, i didnt put it on the truck until today because i thought it stuck out to much:

i also took the ford emblem off of the parts truck tailgate and put it on mine:

DRIFTGOD187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i decided to give the snorkel more air so today i added a vent. this vent is used for campers Danco
Galvanized Plumbing Vent Cap for Mobile Home
and it worked perfectly.

first i drilled a hole in the cowl with a 3 inch dewalt hole saw, then i used a 2 inch coupler, 2 pieces of 2 inch PVC pipe, and a 90 to bring the snorkel piping up through the cowl.

here is the vent before bolting it down and painting it:

here is the vent painted and bolted down:

the vent is very low profile, and to extend the snorkel up to the roof i just have to take the cap off and connect a piece of PVC pipe with a rubber coupler:

after installing the vent i decided to repaint the cowl and the vent, i will get beter pics when its not so dark out:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
amazing work!!!
i hope someday i can get a beat up ranger and repair it like u are doing yours!
keep u the good work man, looks great, nothing like the crap u started with :D

DRIFTGOD187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thank you :icon_thumby:

here are pics i took this morning:

FX2.3

March 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
keep painting and truck will be black :icon_rofl: good job on it though:icon_thumby:

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You stole that truck for $400. I would have scooped it up in a heartbeat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals