• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got an explorer axle, got a few questions.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I looked at the explorer axle swap info in the tech area. It answered quite a few questions but it didn't answer how to hook up the brake lines or the e brake cables. I got a 99 ranger 4x4 with a 7.5". It's a 4.0 with a manual tranny. What should the pinion angle be? I think those are all my questions. Anyone who's done the swap and has tips let me know.

I pulled the axle off a 97 explorer. Got discs on it. Had golden gear oil and all the gears look immaculate. Got limited slip. So happy to get rid of my open 7.5"!! Busted a spider gear so that's what prompted this.

Btw it had a 3.0 stock so yes it is a 7.5" unfortunately.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
After taking a look at it I figured out the brake lines, still confused about the ebrake cable, but what about the anti sway bar? Can I just grab one off an expo and bolt it to my frame? I see my sway bar is mounted on the opposite side of the axle and at a weird angle compared to the expos.

I see mines held on via a u bolt design more or less, clamps around the axle whereas the expos bolts on to a welded mount. Can I just take my mount and clamp (bolt) it around the expo axle?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Also can I reuse the u bolt plates and u bolts? I was just gonna cut off the shock mount, I see the bolt holes are wider but will that affect anything? Either way it's still clamping the leafs down is how I see it

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Measure you current pinion angle and try to match that. I don't see why you couldn't re use your u bolts as long as the axle tubes are the same diameter.

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Won't be able to use your stock Ubolts you'll explorer Axle is a bigger diameter also you'll need bigger plates that the U bolts bolt too. Use the plates and Ubolts from an F150 with a 8.8 rear.

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I grabbed the plates and u bolts off the explorer axle I got at the junkyard, why won't I be able to use them? I have to go back to the junkyard anyway for a brake hose so getting the f150 bolts wouldn't be an issue but just curious.

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm sorry I missed that if you got the plates and ubolts off that axle you are good to go my bad

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
No problem man thanks for the help and clarification

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Dang I'm gonna have to get the f150 bolts, the expos are way too short.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just point the rear axle pinion straight towards the back of the transmission.

Greenasspider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
don't guess at the diff angles. go to randy's ring and pinion. i think there you will find a chart. its like a work sheet, you measure angle of transmission, angle of shaft and u-joint after the steady bearing , using these numbers will help you calculate joint working angle for your diff. if Randy's doesn't have it . Google drive shaft angles or u-joint working angles. u -joints will last a very long time and no drive line vibrations.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If Randy's doesn't help, here are all the angles for a 2000 4x4 with all the different combinations.
Dave

Attachments

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks guys. Here's what I did:
The dude that welded my perches had this tool it looked like a level but showed degrees digitally. I crawled underneath, placed the level on my shaft and it read 4.5 degrees. So he we leveled the pinion, then set the perches to 4.5 degrees. Well after welding it moved them I guess (we tacked it then checked, then tacked another and checked 4-5 times idk why it moved). But anyways one perch ended up at 3 and one at 5. The pinion is a little off still (too low) so I'm just gonna get a 4 degree shim on one side and a 2 degree on the other to even them.

Too bad but oh well, should've done it the right way where you just tack it under the vehicle not on the bench

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I got 33" tires but it's got the 1.5" stock lift. Will that affect pinion angle? If not then I need a 1 and 3 degree shim to reach the 5.9 listed in your attachment

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Here's what I did:
The dude that welded my perches had this tool it looked like a level but showed degrees digitally. I crawled underneath, placed the level on my shaft and it read 4.5 degrees. So he we leveled the pinion, then set the perches to 4.5 degrees. Well after welding it moved them I guess (we tacked it then checked, then tacked another and checked 4-5 times idk why it moved). But anyways one perch ended up at 3 and one at 5. The pinion is a little off still (too low) so I'm just gonna get a 4 degree shim on one side and a 2 degree on the other to even them.

Too bad but oh well, should've done it the right way where you just tack it under the vehicle not on the bench
I don't think you did anything wrong other than a poor job of measuring and tacking (assuming an axle tube didn't turn). Since the springs can be worn, it isn't clear to me why tacking it under the vehicle is the right way at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals