• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cluster swap issue

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swapped an 03 silver face cluster into my 96 2.3 with non-tach cluster. I have all the lights working and gauges except I'm having an issue with the temp gauge.

I'm using the 03 gauge guts with the 96 resistor on the back but when its cold it doesn't even read on the gauge pics attached. Any ideas ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nothing I've tried has worked. Would the temp gauge guts be different from tach to non tach clusters? Seems like the gauge works, just that the sweep is off, regardless of configuration (96 or 03 gauge guts, resistor or no resistor)...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Around 97 or 98 they changed to a different coolant temp sender. I solved the problem by swapping in an '01 SOHC engine complete with the newer sender... :icon_rofl:

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The newer sender has two wires. Possible to adapt this to my 96?

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well in a last ditch effort I removed the cluster AGAIN and swapped the 92ohm resistor on the temp gauge around thinking maybe it had to go a certain way. Well after that the gauge behaves normally now!!!

I should have placed the needle slightly higher while the truck was warm because it does still fall slightly below the gauge mark on start up but I'm done fooling with it...close enough.

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anybody have any other ideas on this?

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK...I think the gauge sweep is the issue....if you look at the tachless cluster the temp gauge faces the passenger side, on the cluster with tach it points to the drivers side....so the gauges are not compatible. If you look at the internals side by side they are wound in different orientations. If my original cluster had a tach there wouldnt be an issue.

This weekend Im going to compare 96 and 03 temp senders and if the threads are the same I'm going to grab an 03 sending unit and use that in conjunction with the 03 gauge NOT using the 96 resistor. This should solve the issue. The 03 sender uses 2 wires, one is ground because the 03 uses a composite manifold so its not grounded like the 96 sender. Splicing into my harness and leaving the ground disconnected ought to do the trick. I will update once I try this.

If anyone sees a flaw in my plan please speak up!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Using all the 03 parts should work fine. You'll just have to ground one of the 2 terminals, Like you already said... Composite intake. I don't think the newer sensor will ground through its body... IIRC from my testing, the circuit was isolated.

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you, I can't wait to get this straightened out.

PirateB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just wanted to report the gauge is working perfectly now.

Reinstalled the 03 temp gauge guts (no resistor) then installed an 03 2 wire temp sender and soldered/shrink wrapped in the connector to my harness grounding it to a nearby stud. The hardest part was soldering the wires up under the intake manifold. I did have to shave off one of the alignment tabs on the sender to allow the pigtail I got from rock auto to clip in.

Good news is the gauge works properly and I can now pull the cluster in under 6 minutes LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals