• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harness questions/issues

ReptileChillock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm finally putting my Ranger back together after what turned into a full on rebuild.

It's a 97 2.3L 5spd, poverty spec. No AC, no power windows and I swapped in a manual steering gearbox.

I'm down to the last few things I gotta hook up, but I'm not sure on some of them. I labelled *most* things, but those few I didn't really came back to bite me in the...:dntknw:

So, I guess let's start off with the most worrying.

Sorry it's upside down, but this is facing backwards from underneath the truck. It's the rearmost plug on the trasmission. I can't for the life of me remember where that blue plug goes, if anywhere.

There are a lot of plugs that go nowhere on this truck, and I didn't take notes.

I'll try to get more pics, but where the transmission harness meets the other 'main' harness, there are three plugs. The tranny harness only has two I can find, so I assume it's for an option I don't have. The plugs I *did* use where white and grey circular ones, the remaining plug is black.

Then there's the issue with this thing:

It's behind/below the fuel rails, coming off the block. I think I got it right, and connected what I assume is a ground wire to it. Green wire with a little pop-on cap thing.

Moving on, I have no idea where this guy goes:

And while I'm at it, I'm not sure I hooked up the throttle body correctly. I know it's not the right subsection, but I don't want to start a thread for one question.

I've attached the hose to the bottom of the TB,

and I assume that hose hooks up with the intake manifold right at the little nub that splits off before the bigger connection here:

ReptileChillock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
OKAY! So I've got a lot of it figured out. The white cylinder thing is the PCV valve, and I found where it goes. I've got everything done except for the charcoal canister.

ReptileChillock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Everything's connected, nothing gets power.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go get a good voltmeter and follow the power.

Check for 12V across the battery, and then follow the positive power cable along and see where the power stops.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are a few things that have power all the time.
Dome light, brake lights, and head lights, key on/off doesn't matter.

If those are not working then check battery cables, make sure Black Ground cable is hooked up to the engine, and engine ground straps go to the firewall and frame, if you left these off to test the engine, put them back on now.
There is usually a smaller black cable from the battery, or frame, to the Radiator support piece, that grounds the head lights.
The grounds are 1/2 the circuit, so if you got a bad ground you got no power.

Red battery cable should go to the starter motor's solenoid but also to the Power Distribution Box in the engine compartment, that's where I would make sure you have power, check for power at the fuses

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals