• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shaking on freeway with upgraded rims

Dfoster93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Over the weekend I replaced my stock rims with aftermarket black steel rims that I got from a friend. The stock rims were 5 lug 15x7 with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. And were replaced by 15x8-8.5 5 lug. I had them put on by a small mom and pop shop and the tires were also balanced. Everything felt fine until I got on the freeway going above 50mph and there was terrible shaking in the whole truck. If I'm driving below 50mph there is no issue at all.

I'm not sure if the balancing was done improperly or if the truck needs an alignment. I have no idea what could cause this. There was no issues with the steering or shaking prior to putting on these new black steel rims.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I had the same problem on a toyota p/u long time ago , with brand new out the box aftermarket rims , two of the four were welded improperly and caused them to wobble, didn't notice any problem on surface streets but above 50mph terrible, had a buddy follow behind saw the problem. The company fought with me , accused me of abuse, but finally settled getting most of my money back
[ had to pay freight]

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i have that issue with my steel 15x8 bart wheels black "D"-window wheels. 1 has a huge amount of balance weight on it, i actually had them balanced twice. been living with it, when the tires are shot im just going to go back to my stock alloy rims and use this set to put on something headed for the junkyard. they even have more offset than what i was told they were. supposed to be a 4" backspace and they are 3-1/4" has a nice deep-dish look, almost looks like 15x10's. ive since read that alot of wheels mfg by bart wheels have a balance problem, they are made from really thick steel, so they are heavy. would be ok for off-road use but not so good for a daily driver or for long highway trips. i doubt there is a "fix" besides another set of rims.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals