• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 swap mpg

kcarsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Post up your mpg numbers in your efi 302 swapped ranger. Particularly looking for 4wd rangers with 4r70w but any input appreciated. Also tore size, gear ratio, etc. Trying to make a final decision between 302 and diesel swap in my 99' 4x4 off road extended cab. Hoping for 20mpg highway with 33's. Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 Explorers with 5.0l are 500lbs heavier and "claimed" 18mpg hwy, so more like 16 in real world.

You are adding maybe 100lbs with engine and with larger tires?? extra weight plus extra wind resistance

20mpg would probably be out of range, maybe 18 mpg on an all hwy trip, staying around 50mph....with a tail wind all the way.

Diesel's get better MPG since there is more energy per gallon than gasoline, but they are also heavier and a narrower powerband

kcarsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I keep seeing guys with 20+ mpg numbers but I'm guessing most are 2wd with 3.27 or 3.55 gears and a 5 speed. I'd be doing 4.10 and 33's with auto so I'm prob dreaming.
I want to keep the truck near stock fit and finish that's why I like the 302 but I think I can do as well with a diesel swap.

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
I get about 11 or so on hwy. rebuilt 5.0hO with e cam 6" lift on 33" and no435 tranny and 373 gears!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if mpg is a main concern go with a cummins 4bt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I keep seeing guys with 20+ mpg numbers but I'm guessing most are 2wd with 3.27 or 3.55 gears and a 5 speed. I'd be doing 4.10 and 33's with auto so I'm prob dreaming.
I want to keep the truck near stock fit and finish that's why I like the 302 but I think I can do as well with a diesel swap.
Ranger owners are a good bunch, very helpful for the most part.

But when it comes to MPG many people......well, don't lie out right, but lets just says the truth is given a quick nod as they pass it by :)

Gasoline V8 in a truck, even a lighter truck, would be lucky to get 15mpg driving around town, you might be able to flirt with 20mpg on a long trip if you stayed below 55mph, and there was no head wind.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im carbed, 5.0HO np435, 3.73s and 32s. Im getting 8mpg in town and 10 highway. But one guy running the same setup was getting 16 and I know I have room for improvements, just need to get the time to adjust my carb.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A v8, extended cab, auto trans, 4wd truck is going to weigh around 4000lbs easily. That's a fairly heavy vehicle. The 4.10s will hurt your hwy fuel economy too. Add in heavy, oversized tires, and it's a recipe for less than stellar fuel economy.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A v8, extended cab, auto trans, 4wd truck is going to weigh around 4000lbs easily. That's a fairly heavy vehicle. The 4.10s will hurt your hwy fuel economy too. Add in heavy, oversized tires, and it's a recipe for less than stellar fuel economy.
Should have fairly decent aero though... I mean if my 5000k 5.4 F-150 can flirt with 20mpg on stock rubber I think a decently set up late model Ranger with a V8 could come somewhat close.

I would be tempted to forget the 4BT and wait for the late model half ton Ram and Colorado diesels to hit the salvage market in a few years if you go the diesel route...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Old diesel over modern diesel any day.

So much shit on the new ones.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Should have fairly decent aero though...
What?! Ranger's have horrible aerodynamics. The windshield is super upright. The underside is really cluttered and aerodynamically "messy". They have huge panel gaps that cause lots of turbulance. The coefficient of drag on an 01 Ranger is like .49. An 04 F-150 Lightning has a CoD of .36. (Just for comparison, an 06 Civic coupe has a CoD of .29)

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well depends what you compare it to.

Compare it to a semi rangers are very aerodynamic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What?! Ranger's have horrible aerodynamics. The windshield is super upright. The underside is really cluttered and aerodynamically "messy". They have huge panel gaps that cause lots of turbulance. The coefficient of drag on an 01 Ranger is like .49. An 04 F-150 Lightning has a CoD of .36. (Just for comparison, an 06 Civic coupe has a CoD of .29)
Compare to a first or second gen and get back to me.

It obviously won't be great compared to a car but as far as trucks go it shouldn't be that bad. My 2002 F-150 has pretty much the same shapes and whatnot, drags around another half a ton wrapped in a much bigger carcass and can still got close to 20mpg with a V8 and the tires that Ford put on it. Still gets 15-17mpg hwy with 32" mud tires. Same body as a newer Lighting but much taller, 4wd, extended cab and has a steel box. With the exception of everything being bigger it has the same crap under it in pretty much the same locations as a '98+ Ranger.

For the .49 it just says "Ranger". Well all know what a Lightning is but it isn't that fair to compare say... a Level II FX4 to a Lightning.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Vehicle_Coefficient_of_Drag_List

Old diesel over modern diesel any day.

So much shit on the new ones.
If an old diesel is legal to swap then delete stuff on the newer one. :icon_idea:

My thought was you wouldn't end up with a huge rough running four cylinder.

With an old one you are stuck with huge or tiny, there isn't much in between.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh right. Forgot there's laws on swaps down there.

I'd still take a proven 30+ mpg 4bt over s new diesel that's had the crap removed

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Compare to a first or second gen and get back to me.

It obviously won't be great compared to a car but as far as trucks go it shouldn't be that bad. My 2002 F-150 has pretty much the same shapes and whatnot, drags around another half a ton wrapped in a much bigger carcass and can still got close to 20mpg with a V8 and the tires that Ford put on it. Still gets 15-17mpg hwy with 32" mud tires. Same body as a newer Lighting but much taller, 4wd, extended cab and has a steel box. With the exception of everything being bigger it has the same crap under it in pretty much the same locations as a '98+ Ranger.

For the .49 it just says "Ranger". Well all know what a Lightning is but it isn't that fair to compare say... a Level II FX4 to a Lightning.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Vehicle_Coefficient_of_Drag_List
The OP wants to do the swap in his 99 Extended cab 4X4, not a squarebody. If the CoD listed is for an 01 level 2, it should be very similar to the OPs truck. If the CoD shown is for a base model 2wd ranger, then we can assume the OPs CoD would be slightly worse right? Either way, the aerodynamics of the Ranger, are worse than a newer F-150 like yours, or the lightning. Saying that his truck would have better aero than your F-150 isn't true.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals