• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3reliability

4th ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok,,,,Got a decision to make..i bought my 02 reg cab 2.3 automatic with46000 on it and now im at 107000. I need to decide if Im keeeping it or going back to a car.Gotta say it never left me stranded or stuck in a Ohio snow storm! just wonderin how long I can get out of this truck.It has minimal rust and still runs like a champ!! Im open to all opinions!!!!

cpubuilder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Keep it!
I'm guessing that those numbers are in miles?
even still .... these Duratec's are in for the long haul. With regular maintenance you'll never have any major problems. The Rangers internals are built to last, forged crank, no valves or balancing crap just to name a few.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
The 4 cylinders are probably the most reliable engines in a ranger. I see more high mileage four bangers around here than anything else.

Z7What

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 07 with 139K and have had no engine issues with it at all. At 100K i replaced plugs, wires, front 02 sensor, tranny filter and fulid, rear diff fuild, installed rear drilled and slotted disc brakes and front drilled slotted front brakes, cleaned MAF, cleaned air filter, fuel filter, replaced belt with Goodyear Gatorback and detailed the hell out of her. She picked up 2mpg and runs even better. I dont see it being a problem to get 200-300K out of her.

Only issues i have had with her is the A/C compressor seal started leaking so i replaced it, one of my tire sensors failed, and the blend door/temp control motor when out so i reaplaced it.

Wayne

Last edited:

hogvibrator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
keep the truck! i have an 2002 2.3 reg cab. i tow dirtbikes to the track, use it to go to work,and its good on gas.no major problems.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The Rangers internals are built to last, forged crank, no valves or balancing crap just to name a few.
Um, all engines have valves, did you mean to say pushrods?

crazypj

Reaction score
Altamonte Springs Fl./Bridgend South Wales
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Um, all engines have valves, did you mean to say pushrods?
Except the Mazda RX series (Wankel)
Just being a smartass :icon_rofl:
Interesting reading, I guess my AC compressor seal has died as AC was 'out' have a leak developed , possibly (probably?) rear main.Not dripping on the floor yet so I'll leave it a while

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals