• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to do a 4.0 motor swap into a 89 bronco. The only problem is the motor is OBDII. We are having trouble in crossing the wiring. Ive done all the searching I could found out some info but nothing to finish it. Any body have the pinouts for the three body connectors on the driver side for the bronco? Should we swap out the distribution box too?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What year motor are you guys installing???

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its a late 95

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Swap everything. The best way to eliminate as many future issues is to swap the whole wiring harness, engine, transmission, dash (if possible seeing as this the first year for the third gen dash). The wiring will be identical to what it was, and then therefore much easier to manage. Trying to combine 89 and 95 technology could prove rather troublesome.

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
whats the power difference from the 2.9 to 4.0 like 50 hp? obviously the 4.0 is more available for new heads and the such, but as for my experience (automotive machinist) the 4.0 isn't that reliable (head gaskets, pounding out seats, cracking, and lifter issues) i'm not trying to rain on the parade just curious. I assume its an easier swap than the 302>?

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
done a 302 swap and have the old 4.0 from the ranger. The 2.9 took a crap and died so since I had everything we figured that would be easiest. totally didnt think about the obdII wiring till we were in too deep

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problems geck0 listed are more common on the 2.9. The 4.0 can have them happen, but not nearly as often as it seems the 2.9 has them.

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
not worried about the problems. every motor can have problems. Its been reliable since ive owned it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals