• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benz om617

southaw

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You will need custom drive shafts regardless and will have to remount rad eliminate a custom Trans mount modify tunnel for shifter modify firewall for oil filter housing i I were to do it again Mercedes 4th offer loto of kits with bigger stronger transmission t-case options that will be your best bet cuzip I can't make it for 495 like they sell there kit I got 30 hours in to mine and that's not matrials either 30×25 a hour my time not practical for you that's your best solution

Uhh, no I won't need custom driveshafts if I retain my stock transfer case. That's the point haha.

Doesn't sound too bad. A sledge hammer helps with the firewall and the oil filter is installed on hoses (on mine anyway) so there's some room. I don't mind cutting the floor open and plating over the empty spot.

All I need is an adapter for a transmission that bolts to the 1354 (m5r1, fm146 (probably the same housing on fm145)).
Thanks anyway!

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
You need to move the transmission mount forwardso you can clear the pan from the cross member I moved the ahead 2.5" ahead roughly and still needed to notch the pan slightly and you run into limitations to notch as the pick up is close to the back of the lower pan. All my adapter bell will work for I'd the fm145/146 but if I was going to do it again I would choose a hheavier transmission and transfer case like t5 then you can change gearing to suit the diesel torque curve not to mention I am now thinking I need Dana 44 outer so I can use heavy enough ball joints.......

On another note I got my oil cooler liNE adapters installed along with oil cooler sure makey a difference with cooling... cleaned up under the hood got rid of more wiring that wasn't needed and the vacuum actuator for the cruise as i don't intend on getting that working... I have new motor and Trans mounts here hope they will clear up some vibration, need to go to a one piece drive shift and if that down cure it this summerror I will re set the motor and Trans wwith a heavier set up over the ranger original mounts

Been driving 180 kms every day last two weeks and cruises along nicely. .... took it crawling thru the bush and snow like a boss and I drugot a full tree off the trail thru snow pretty happy with power just afraid of destroying get that Trans

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty cool combination...

Just got a w123...my first diesel & my first benz. Can't help but think about putting a OM617 in my '85 Ranger.

Have any pictures of your mounts configuration & firewall clearance?

Looks like you just moved the radiator forward?

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
well I wish I would have found this thread sooner. I would have purchased a conversion kit for my 5cyl, instead of searching for a manual shift 4cyl.

I purchased a 1980 MB 240 D w/4spd manual on the weekend for a reasonable price so that I could rip its heart out . :icon_hornsup: added pic .................

I have a 1996 Explorer 2wd 2door I would like to put the 4cyl/4spd into.

But after reading more of this thread, I am thinking about putting a 5cyl turbo motor into my 2001 sport trac to make it a nice daily.

some interesting stuff here, still haven't found the pics of 5cyl in a ranger.

I'll be doing a lot of searching here for a while.

thanks for the motivation:icon_thumby:

Attachments

Last edited:

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok saw some pics and videos, very nice stuff. might even talk the wife into this idea................. she will drive anything that steers and stops so:icon_thumby:

sport trac pic , purchased with blown up 4.0 OHC .

Attachments

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I may be selling my ranger and everything I have with it.

Still a project but pretty much everything is there, just gotta finish assembly.

Not in stone yet but putting it out there if anyone is interested, message me for more details.

Pics from last year, did some body work and what not since then.

Last edited:

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
If I didn't need a "family wagon" I might be interested. Rangers are just to small inside for me and the kids, or me and the wife and kids :D

A single big CCA BXT 65 battery should be lots for that 5cyl engine.

the kid that I got my 240D from spent 300 on the correct battery for the car from NAPA, special order. I stuck in a combination side/top post with the posts centred in the battery. works fine, $20 used battery :icon_thumby:

put a few hundred miles on it today to see how it runs/shifts. not bad at all, I think this powerplant will pull a 2wd 2door explorer just fine. I think the engine/trans are the only parts of the car I will keep.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Cool beans I like how I can be off here for awhile and people keep on the project.... fuel tank died in the tragic driving thru swap incident which also took out my wheel bearings and gave me some quality time changing differential oil.... got looking spent some time and built a custom tank for in the box to avoid any further tank issues and allows me to have the ability to modify under the truck with out working about fuel tank issues... exhaust also has to be re done I got one of a f350 my brother in law crashed 3.5 will modify it up here in the next couple weeks! Also having issues with ball joints from the weight any body have some easier solutions or should I be thinking d44 putters and convert it to half ton joints?

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I like the rims on your truck there are those mustang rims?

donfordguy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, no help here.

I just reused the Benz auto trans and went to 2wd, later I will do a divorced transfer case and a solid front axle swap

Subscribed!
so the trans isnt electric like newer trans

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
so the trans isnt electric like newer trans
MB 4spd automatic is purely mechanical. kind of sucky even in a Merceedes car but its pretty basic.

I've been watching for new posts on here but nothing?

I sold the rims and whatever parts the guy could carry off my MB 240 D and got to keep the whole powertrain in the chassis. paid 400 for the car , got 700 for the parts and kept the part of the car I bought it for in the first place. doesn't work out that way often :yahoo:

4cyl MB diesel/4spd trans in my 96 2dr2wd explorer for the winter...............:D

compression ignition rules! :icon_hornsup:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
So I blew the head gasket and upon openING it up I've found a warped head and some leaky intake valves I'm hoping to have the headay planed and rebuilt to reinstall this weekend I think this is also the issue with hard starts

seebeexee

Reaction score
So I blew the head gasket and upon openING it up I've found a warped head and some leaky intake valves I'm hoping to have the headay planed and rebuilt to reinstall this weekend I think this is also the issue with hard starts
Sorry to hear about your blown head gasket and warped head. By now, I'm sure you're aware that blown head gaskets on the OM617 is pretty rare, but has been known to happen on rare occasions.

Were you able to determine what was causing the leaky valves? Valves not properly sealing on that engine are essential for easy starts, even in warm weather. I've found that even with brand new glow plugs, a new starter, and new battery, with just a couple valves out of spec, the engine is much harder to start. While not hard, adjusting the valves every 15,000 miles is my least-favorite maintenance task with my 300SD.

Keep us posted on the repair.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well I decided to go ahead and rebuild the head while it was apart I had to get the head planed down .014 to get back flat and the back thered cylinder exhaust valves were leaking so with the seats cleaned and lapped I ended up dead set in the middue of the valve height which I was happy with. I got everything on and finger tight cam chain went on with out too much difficulty have to do the torque on the head set the valves a and I'm gonna re time the injection pump.

Due to the purchase of my super bike triumph I have 4 months Waliking papers giving me time to hopefully really mount the motor with heavy mounts remote the oil filter and see if I can set the motor back a couple inches and if I could find a solid axle in the area I'd like to get heavier axle and ball joints
To help with engine weight

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
safe to assume the cylinders look ok and the pistons look good from the top??

if the cylinders look good and the ip is ok....rebuild your injectors and get on with er pretty good would be my expectation. these engines may not make much power, but their solid performance that is legendary is not based on bullshit.

the injectors are similar to the ones i use, as a matter a fact we modify our 6.2/6.5 injectors to mimic aspects of the benz injectors so we can run alternative fuel blends...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals