• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aligning Headlights DIY

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just bought new headlights and need to align them properly but i threw out the DIY instructions,. anyone have a DIY for it by any chance?
IE: how far to park away/ what height they should be apart and above the the road etc

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Someone else can probably give you the numbers but i always went to an empty road that did not have lights and play with them till you find something that works for you, helps if you have a friend that can drive past you a couple times to make sure there not blinding to oncoming drivers.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I usually just aim so you can see the lo-beam hit the road about 2-3 car lengths out, and make sure they're both even up/down, and side-side.

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i adjusted them just in the driveway cause they were literally pointing straight @ the ground not even half a car length and now their about car 1/2 but id like them a bit higher especially with no fog lights so were gonna tryer again tonight.

I found the lights that came with the headlights are TERRIBLE :mad:, so i might swap the stocks in for now. What headlight bulbs are you guys runnin?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Plain DOT 9004s (9007s in my Ranger). Sylvania or GE brand... I forget which

I run both auxiliary fog & driving lights that are tied in with the lo & hi beams (respectively) on relays for extra lighting (provides far more illumination than with high-power bulbs in the headlights themselves).

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i had sylvanias before and they seemed to work fine. Are there any bulbs super bright without paying 40.00 a bulb? i know they sell like H1 bulbs or something just want a factory replacement until i get some fog lights installed

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've seen bigger bulbs advertized in the JCWhitney catalog for like $15, although again, I wouldn't bother, the light increase is maybe 1/3 what you get with a set of aux lights.
For factory replacement bulbs, just stick with a known good brand name.

Once you get the foglights installed, you should have plenty of light.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I did mine myself.

I don't really know what I have for the height... I just parked in front of our garage and aimed them.
I decided to have the right hand light point over twords the shoulder slightly and up a little more than the drivers side light. That way, you are getting a view of what may be by the side of the road, and up a ways while not blinding other drives and still being able to see, yourself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals