• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cranked torsion..kinda bummed by the outcome

basshead

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 bored
Transmission
Automatic
i cranked my torsion, but it still doesnt sit high enough for me in the front, i dont wanna max the torsion bars is there any other way to gain abit more hight in the front to even it out cheap $? i measured back clearance and its still 1.5" taller

heres before

and after the crank

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks perfect IMHO

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if you want lift height, open you wallet. if dust comes out, your not lifting anytime soon.

moral of the story, its not cheap. grab torsion keys. thats your only cheap option. oh, your gonna need to buy shocks :)

basshead

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 bored
Transmission
Automatic
if you want lift height, open you wallet. if dust comes out, your not lifting anytime soon.

moral of the story, its not cheap. grab torsion keys. thats your only cheap option. oh, your gonna need to buy shocks :)
which brings me to another question...i havent changed the shocks yet scince i bought the truck 3 years ago..and they guy i bought it from had no records of having them replaced either.. when i go over speedbumps the front shocks make a noise. like a whommph noise its hard to explain. im guessing they are shot anyways, if i get some decent shocks vs my crappy ones, willl it be stiffer in the front therefor rasing it up an inch or so?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Shocks do nothing to lift a vehicle. Their name states their occupation: Absorbing Shock. That's it. May be a stiffer ride depending on what kind you get, but you will gain absolutely no lift out of a standard shock...

My buddy DID gain an inch of lift with those Monroe Sensatrac with coils around them. As for the front, no such thing is made.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Basshead, what size tires you running there? Aside from the expensive lift only thing I can think of is to live with it, or get shorter blocks in the rear. Personally I'd live with that little rake, with that it'd set bout level with a little weight in the bed. I wish my truck sat like your does. Mine looks like I'm driving around with the front tires flat, or with Gas shocks pumped up in the rear. It'd be a mean rake for an old muscle car but this is a 4x4 pickup. Guess I need to find some specs for the front suspension and adjust my ride height a little. On that note could you do me a favor? Could you measure from the center of your front wheel to the bottom of the fender. It might help get mine where it needs to be.

Brinker88, I doubt your buddy actually gained an inch over stock height. I expect his springs were sagging and those shocks helped offset it a little. Just my 2 cents though.

basshead

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 bored
Transmission
Automatic
Basshead, what size tires you running there? Aside from the expensive lift only thing I can think of is to live with it, or get shorter blocks in the rear. Personally I'd live with that little rake, with that it'd set bout level with a little weight in the bed. I wish my truck sat like your does. Mine looks like I'm driving around with the front tires flat, or with Gas shocks pumped up in the rear. It'd be a mean rake for an old muscle car but this is a 4x4 pickup. Guess I need to find some specs for the front suspension and adjust my ride height a little. On that note could you do me a favor? Could you measure from the center of your front wheel to the bottom of the fender. It might help get mine where it needs to be.

Brinker88, I doubt your buddy actually gained an inch over stock height. I expect his springs were sagging and those shocks helped offset it a little. Just my 2 cents though.
im running 31 x 10.5 bfg mud terrains. and ill be at my gfs house all week so im not sure if i can get a measurment, but i can try mabie later if you look back on this post tonight or tomorrow i should have it up

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually you've told me all I need to know. There is approximately a 1.5" difference front to rear and you are running the same size tires I am. I think I can handle the rest from there. Appreaciate the quick reply.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks better then mine, My bars weren't cranked at all and when I cranked them to the max I only got about an inch out of them.

stiluv

01/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.oh face oh oh oh
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
i cranked my t bars and got about 2 inches which leveled it out pretty good. but i maxed them out and got a little bit longer of a shock.

basshead

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 bored
Transmission
Automatic
one more question, ive been reading about people disconecting the sawy bar to losen the front end abit while wheeling...is this possible on my 98? or is it a solid axle only deal

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Disco'ing the sway bar will definitely help for sure. However there is only a limited amount of travel available with the IFS frontend, so once you've reached those limits, the only way to get past them is with a straight axle swap.

The downside of course is more body roll during cornering (which also tends to be a bit more pronounced on '98+ IFS trucks than on '97down TTB trucks).

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Disco'ing the sway bar will definitely help for sure. However there is only a limited amount of travel available with the IFS frontend, so once you've reached those limits, the only way to get past them is with a straight axle swap.
One more strike in favor of building dad's old 68/70 F-100 instead of my 99. Big Big motor, 4 Speed, manual transfer case, better looking body, Warn 8274, and now solid front axle. Shit I've gotta stop thinking about building my truck and just think about fixing it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
agreed... keep the 99 stock-ish for a clean dd. fix the old one!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals